Monday 16 March 2009

Trying to install something again

This morning I went in the garden and saw 2 ladybirds, tiny beetles inside some daffodils, and winged hymenopteran of some sort walking around on top of a daffodil.

After that I downloaded a couple of keywording tools to see what the XMP data they produced looked like. The first one I tried was ProStockMaster, which is free and has quite a lot of good features if you're interested in Selling stock/microstock. It has a keyword suggester and can also track how many downloads/money you make from images you upload to stok sites through it. It supports quite a few different Stock sites: istockphoto.com; shutterstock.com; dreamstime.com; 123rf.com; bigstockphoto.com; canstockphoto.com; fotolia.com; alamy.com; stockxpert.com; panthermedia.net.

Despite using a database, it does write the tags/title to the XMP metadata of the file. However, I didn't see the keywords being split into Essential Keywords, Major Keywords, and Comprehensive Keywords as Alamy requires (see Embed custom keyword fields in the file).

So I tried downloading Image Keyworder, which has a special 'Alamy Mode'. However, after installing it, it wouldn't work becuse MS SQL Server wasn't installed. So I installed this (which took ages), but then it still wouldn't work. It seems the program will only work with the x86 version of MS SQL Server 2005 Express. So if you're using an x64 OS, like me, then it won't work.

After getting annoyed by that I vacuumed my room, then I tried installing Image Keyworder on a Win XP Virtual Machine, again it took ages. While I was waiting for it to install I checked my email, deviant art and the canon lens forum on dpreview.

After lunch I checked the canon lens forum on dpreview a bit more and went on Animal Crossing. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get Image Keyworder to install, even on an XP Virtual Machine. The installing bar for SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2 (x86) (which Image Keyworder tries to install) would just go to full, then go back to the start and start again. If you clicked the cancel button, it would carry on doing the same thing, and the only way to stop it was to end task/process using task manager. I did give it over an hour to install on one try, letting the install process go up to full then back to zero several times, but it still didn't work.

The rest of the afternoon I was looking at RDF and how to create and validate an RDF schema. I found this website that will validate xml, but it gives lots of validation errors for my RDF schema, which I don't think are correct. W3C has an RDF validator, but I think that's for validating RDF instances rather than RDF Schemas.

After dinner I watched an episode of Trashelstar and 'A Fistful of Dynamite' with Mac.

The weather was nice and sunny all day.

Food
Breakfast: Blackcurrant jam toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Grated cheddar cheese sandwich; clementine; slice of Genoa cake; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Sausage; bacon; baked beans; 2x tinned plum tomatoes; chips. Pudding was fruit salad that Ben made at school and an American Style Chocolate Brownie Cookie. Coffee; Sainsbury's caramel chocolate.

No comments: