Sunday 7 June 2009

Installing centos 5.3 with VMWare Tools

This morning I woke up about 4am and it took my a couple of hours to get to sleep again so I only got up at 9am.

It was raining quite this morning, so we went to church in the car, and this gave me enough time to go on Animal Crossing and buy a red turnip seed from Sow Joan.

After church I went on Animal Crossing until dinner time. After dinner I started checking my email, then watched the rest of Rear Window with Maccy (we started watched it yesterday evening).

After that I finished checking my email, and also checked Moose Peterson's blog and Andy Rouse's blog.

Because I hadn't been able to get PHP to compile properly, I downloaded a copy of CentOS 5.3. I tried to install it on a virtual machine with VMWare Server 2.0, using 'Red Hat Linux' as the OS choice. However, when it came to installing CentOS 5.3 on the virtual machine, the CentOS installer couldn't see any hard drives.

Doing some googling, I found this website that offers lots of VMWare virtual machine images, with the OS pre-installed. So I downloaded the CentOS 5.3 image from there. As well as being a much smaller download than the CentOS installation disk image (1.01GB for the Virtual Machine image Vs. 4.24GB for the DVD image), it also saves you from having to go through the installation procedure.

While the CentOS VMWare virtual machine image was downloading, I sorted a few of my pics, and posted the spider pics to WAB to try and get IDs for them.

After tea I watched The Sword In The Stone with Moccle and Lad, which was pretty raddish. After that my VMWare CentOS 5.3 image had downloaded, so I added it as a virtual machine in the VMWare Server 2.0 console, and started it up. I started following the instructions on how to install the VMWare Tools on the site I had downloaded the image from, but when it got installing the actual VMWare Tools package, I found the ones that loaded when I chose 'install VMWare Tools' in the VMWare Server 2.0 console, were very old. (The tutorial says version 5.x, while VMWare Server was loading version 2.x).

After some googling, I found some instructions on how to install the latest version of VMWare Tools. I didn't see there was a section in there for installing VMWare Tools in CentOS 5 until after I had already installed it. I followed the instructions for RHEL 5, without the gpgKey.

So now I just need to check it has apache installed and working okay, probably setup a virtualhost on it, and then try and compile php 5.29 and mysql 5.4 on it. It's getting late now, so I'll (probably) do that tomorrow.

The weather today was rainy all morning and overcast the rest of the day with the sun coming out for a few minutes occasionally throughout the afternoon.

Food
Breakfast: Orange marmalade toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Chilli con carne; rice; tortilla chips; grated cheddar cheese. Pudding was pancake with freshly squeezed lemon and lime, and sugar. Coffee.
Tea: Edam cheese with salad sandwich; slice of yesterday's bread-make-made bread toasted (it had gone quite dry already) with orange marmalade; Rocky; cup o' tea.

No comments: