Tuesday 6 January 2015

Gitting

Today I was trying to learn how to use Git. I started reading Sitepoint's Git Fundamentals ebook a week or so ago, then finished it off today. Unfortunately it was pretty useless and written for mac / linux users. E.g. discussing the head command it says to use HEAD^, but ^ is an escape character in Windows so you actually need to type HEAD^^.

I found a much better guide, which is free, here: Git Tutorial. This covers much more and explains the different commands better than the Sitepoint guide (though the section about branches seems to be in the wrong place). The Sitepoint guide doesn't really cover enough to start using git for real purposes, only enough for a very simple demonstration.

In the evening I set up git for one of my websites and started making some changes.

No comments: