Monday 3 February 2014

What can you get for 10p nowadays?

This morning I finished preparing an article for my photo tips website, then published it. (It was meant to be published yesterday). When looking for pics to illustrate the article on Flickr, I came across mention of a site called ipernity, which people were suggesting as a good alternative to Flickr. According to the comments it is like Flickr used to be before the recent changes that made it worse.

I checked it out, and the comments were right. So I spent quite a bit of this morning and part of this afternoon setting up an account there and transferring my Flickr photos over. (They have some tools you can use to transfer over Flickr photos and sets, but it is not 100% automatic. Probably more like 98% automatic.)

Groups you have added photos to don't transfer across, understandable as the groups on ipernity are different to the ones on Flickr. So I spent some time joining groups and submitting my photos to the groups. Some of the groups I'm a member of on Flickr don't exist. I may try creating equivalents of the groups on ipernity, but I haven't got round to that yet.

I found this thread on Flickr where people were promoting ipernity: Ipernity is great!!. The thread was closed by a staff member with a post saying There are better places to discuss this than the Help Forum; closing this thread. Of course, they don't actually give an example of one of those better places to discuss it. Well, I guess at least they didn't just delete the thread.

Something that arrived today was some 1/4 to 3/8 inch tripod thread adapters.

These cost me 10p from eBay. So, the seller must have had to pay eBay and PayPal fees. They paid for the Jiffy envelope and airmail postage from Malaysia to the UK. The two tripod thread adapters were in little resealable plastic bags. They also included free gifts of a business card sized picture of Danbo with a camera (blank on the reverse) and a plastic tape measure wrapped with an elastic band.

The tripod thread adapters don't actually work that well, they only fitted flush in 2 out of 5 tripod heads I tried them with. But for 10p, it's pretty amazing really. With Paypal fees, eBay fees, postage costs, etc I would have thought the total cost of the package must be at least 50p, maybe nearer £1.

Most of the rest of the afternoon and evening I was working on updating an old article for my photo tips website.

No comments: