Saturday 5 April 2008

MS Virtual PC 2007

I spent most of today watching a Bob Dylan documentary and a pink panther film. The Dylan documentary was quite good, although it only covered a few years of his life, something like 1960-1966. Would have been more interesting if it had covered all his life up to now. It had some clips of performances by other good artists that me and yumpt had nae heard of, so we wrote them down as we watched the film:
  • Gene Vincent and the blue caps
  • Muddy Waters
  • Woody Guthrie
  • The new lost City Ramblers
  • Howlin' Wolf
I also downloaded Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 as using VMWare I have been unable to connect to my PC's localhost. After downloading it I found I already had it installed, so I installed win XP on it, and then found that MS actually provide virtual hard disk images pre-loaded with Win XP SP2 and IE6/7/8 that you can download for free from their website.

So I downloaded Windows XP SP2 with IE6 and Windows XP SP2 with IE8 images. Then I loaded them up, loads quicker than installing Win XP myself took. Also now means that I don't have to use the illegal version of Win XP I was using previously to test stuff on IE6.

To get internet and be able to connect to my localhost in the virtual PC I had to go on the settings for the virtual machine and change the networking adapter to 'Shared networking (NAT)'. Then to access localhost from the virtual machine I just had to type in the i.p. address of my actual PC.

After getting this working I deleted the old win XP virtual machine I had made, VMWare and a few other old programs I found in the add/remove programs section of control panel.

Food
Breakfast: Frosties; cup o' tea.
Morning snack: Crinkle crunch cream; milk chocolate digestive; cup o' tea.
Lunch: ½ Peppered ham sandwich; cheese on toast; satsuma; kitkat; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Chicken; parsnips; broccoli; potatoes; gravy. Pudding was apple pies with cream. Coffee. Chocolate truffle mix; easter egg.

5 comments:

Mario Olivio Flores said...

Hi!

I had a really hard time finding info on how to connect to localhost. Your's in the first I've found. I'd actually recommend posting this info more broadly. I haven't been able to find any help anywhere.

To access your localhost? Which IP address did you use exactly? I'm on a router and tried my local ip 192.168.1.101, but nothing comes up.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Mario Olivio Flores said...

I'm a liar. It worked fine. I just mixed up 192.168 w/ 198.162.

:)

Thanks!

Unknown said...

I am having a very difficult time making sense of viewing localhost from VPC07. When you say 'type in the ip address' do you mean in the browser, or perhaps tcp/ip settings?

Some details would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

dominussui.kentan said...

Hi! I also had a hard time finding the solution to this problem. Your's is the only one that worked. Just change the virtual pc setting's network adapter to NAT.

Thanks a bunch for this post!

Rusty said...

I'm a bit late in answering Noah's question, but just in case anyone else comes across this post, when I said 'type in the ip address' I meant in the browser.

Dave