Friday 3 October 2014

Ray Singh, Sir Kitt

I had an email from Google that my Google Play credit was going to expire in a few days, so I thought I had better spend it. About a week ago I received an email from them saying that they were doing some albums for 99p. I did look at this at the time, but didn't think any of the albums they had listed were worth getting (as an mp3 album) for 99p. But since I had credit that was otherwise going to go to waste, I thought I might as well take a look at them again.

The page has a list of albums, and when you click on one it takes you to a page for that album. On that page you can then click a Buy button. But this showed the price as being £3.99, which is also the same price displayed on the page with the list of 99p albums. According to the email from Google, Once you add an album to your cart, your exclusive discounted price will be reflected in the purchase total. However, it is not clear what this 'purchase total' they are referring to is. I would have thought it was the price displayed when you click the buy button.

Then, checking the small print of the email, I realised the issue: Offer expires 11:59 p.m. BST Saturday, September 27, 2014. So why didn't they just print this larger in the email? Don't they know that having a tight deadline for a deal will only encourage action if you actually publicise the tight deadline? Or did they just decide to hide it in the small print to annoy people like me?

So, after that, I decided to see if there were any ebooks I would be interested in. But when I searched for specific books they were nearly all the same price or more expensive than the print copies!

So I tried browsing the books, but the Google Play store only displays about 50 results per page, and has no pagination. So weird, why would you ever think of only allowing people to only view the first page of results? Also, there was no ability to sort the books by price.

When you search for a term, the situation is very similar - only a single page of results. You do get a filter by price option, but you can only choose 'free' or 'paid'. Better than nothing I suppose, but still a real #googlelogic decision.

So, in the end I wasted some time and am unable to spend my credit due to the extremely poor design of the google play store.

I did some website updates and went out for a little while to take some test photos, and that's about it for today.

No comments: