Saturday 8 June 2013

Blackbirds no more

This morning I heard the blackbirds making their clucking noise like they were annoyed, so I went out to see what was happening. I didn't see any magpies or crows, but the blackbirds were flying about quite a bit and very noisy. I waited for a bit, then Mrs Blackbird flew back towards the nest.

I went to see what she was doing, and she kept poking her beak down into the nest (I can't actually see inside the nest). Then after a bit she flew off with a pink blob, presumably a dead baby. I came back inside, and then the blackbird started up their alarm call again and I saw a Magpie fly off.

Clare came in shortly after and said she'd seen a Crow and Magpie fighting over a pink-brown blob. So it seems like the blackbird nest is probably finished. When I thought I was feeding a blackbird chick by proxy yesterday, I was actually feeding a Magpie chick by proxy.

No comments: