Wednesday 4 June 2008

Final-chee bought some precious metals!

This morning went on pinternet for a bit, then went down town while the weather was still okay. It was actually quite nice and sunny. I went to Halifax to close my accounts with them, had a bit of trouble because my signature didn't look like the one on my driving licence or any of my cards. Luckily they still let it go and closed my ISA, they said I had to close my web saver online. I deposited the cheque from Halifax at Alliance & Pester and they pestered me to buy life insurance. Makes a difference to mortgages I guess but still annoying for me and probably more annoying for the people who work there to have to try sell rubbish to people who don't want it.

After that I went to instore to get some more sunflower bird seed and some hanging clothes organizer Tom Hings for Moohar. I got them, although they only had 2 packs of sunflower bird seed left. I also bought some mixed seed and insects/little worm things meant to be for Robins. Walking home with the bag totally canned my arms because I am so weak.

When I got home I checked my email and looked into buying GBS. First of all I couldn't work out how the price of it related to gold, but after doing a bit of searching I found this which says the price is ¹/10 of the gold price. But then there was a further complication that when buying the bid price and offer price are both in GB pence, but most places that give share/stocks tips advise you of buy/sell limits in USD. They don't tell you what the current exchange rate they're using is either, so its hard to work out what your bid should be.

I just used best offer and bought at what was being offered, probably I could get a better deal if I could work out what the correct amount to bid for a buy at $85 would be, but I just wanted to get it bought really. It may go down for a bit but in a year or so should have increased quite a bit anyway.

In the afternoon I tidied up my room a bit, went on the pinternet and then started testing different lens / extension tube / diopter lenses combos to see what magnification they would give. After dinner I finished testing my lenses. I found that the 70-300mm VR lens with a diopter lens gives the greatest working distance but shallowest DoF for a given f-number, whilst the reversed 24mm or 50mm & extension tubes require close working distances but give much greater DoF.

I watched Springwatch, then Coast and then read up on DoF on wikipedia to see why the DoF in my tests was so different, then went to bed.

Food
Breakfast: Lime marmalade toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Cheddar cheese with salad sandwich; satsuma; couple of grapes; slice of raisin madeira cake; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Potato; carrot; baked beans; peas; home made scotch egg. For pudding I had an oven heated apple pie; microwave heated rhubarb crumble; custard; cream. Coffee and a chocolate button Ben gave me (he went to Cadbury World on a school trip today).

No comments: