Friday 25 July 2008

Looking for butterflies

This morning my 18-55 IS lens returned from Canon and also the replacement 1TB drive arrived from ebayer. Ben & Rad went to the Space Center in Leicester and I went on a walk to the meadows near the Leisure Centre.

There were some butterflies there, although not as many as the rough ground on the edge of Lubenham. They seemed to be flying almost continuously, so just about impossible to take a photo of. When I got to the top edge of the first meadow, there was some brambles there and quite a lot of butterflies feeding on the flowers. I stopped there for quite a while to try and get some photos, but the butterflies didn't seem to want to come and feed on the flowers where I was standing, and instead fed on flowers further into the bush where they were too far away for me to focus on.

I went into the next field and there weren't many butterflies in that one, at the start of the next field after that one there were some more brambles, but these didn't have any butterflies on them. I carried on and found a small tortoiseshell at the edge of a field that had been harvested already. It did get disturbed reasonably easily and flew about for a bit, but would always land back near where it was before, so I managed to get quite a few pics of it.

I carried on following the footpath, until it got to the edge of the hill opposite East Farndon. Then I went right over a stile, and along the edge of the hill/field until I got to the corner of the field, then went down to the gate and carried on following the footpath back towards Market Harborough.

After going through a couple more fields the footpath comes out on the road from Market Harborough to East Farndon. I carried on down the road until I got to the farm shop, then turned left there and went towards the track where I had seen quite a few butterflies on my last walk to/from Lubenham.

There were quite a few butterflies there, I stayed there for about 15mins to try and get some more pics, then I went through the field back towards Harborough. I came out of the jitty and the bridge was open for pedestrians to cross, so that was good and saved me having to go the long way round to get home. I got home about 12.30pm.

After lunch I sorted the pics I had taken. Later in the afternoon I opened the lens back from Canon and it said they couldn't find any problem with the lens and the problem must be with the body. Also they hadn't returned the receipt, even though (probably because) I had explicity asked them (twice) to return the receipt in my covering note with the lens when I sent it to them.

So now I won't be able to claim the £50 cashback from Canon on the body and also I have no proof of purchase for getting any more work done under warranty (which will be required if the body is faulty). Anyway, I boxed up the lens and body with another covering note and a copy of the invoice they sent back with the lens. I'll have to take it to the post office to post it tomorrow.

In the evening I opened the replacement hard drive from ebuyer and plugged it into the PC, rather worryingly it made the same clicking noise the last one made when the PC started up. I started formatting it, and then started watching Young Frankenstein with Ben as Mackie has gone to Worksop.

Food
Breakfast: Chocolate crunch cereal; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Honey roast Ham with iceberg lettuce sandwich; satsuma; prawn cocktail flavour crisps; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Bit of breaded fish portion with salt; 2x fish cakes with tomato ketchup; potatoes; peas. Pudding was jelly with manadrin pieces in it; trifle sponge; squirty cream. Coffee.

No comments: