Friday 19 June 2009

Walking and metadataring

This morning I went on a walk with Rad.

In the afternoon I checked my email, which took quite a long time. I also started trying to add some metadata to an image, and discovered some problems with my custom XMP File Info panel that I had to fix. I did this a bit in the evening as well.

Also in the evening I watched 2 episodes of The Office with Moccle, and read stuff about taxonomy and organising images. Unfortunately I couldn't find any examples of how other people organise their images with a Taxonomic hierarchy. At the moment I have 2 sets of Hierarchical keywords - one for common names and one for latin names.


The problem with this approach is that the 2 hierarchies are separate, really 'Plants' is just an alt name for 'Plantae'. It also means that I have to drill down through the different hierarchies for Latin Names until I get to the correct level, and also drill down through the Common Names, seperately. Some Hierarchy levels for Latin names don't have a corresponding Common name. At the moment, I'm using the Latin Name in the Common names hierarchy where this is the case (as can be seen above for 'Dilleniidae' and 'Violales').

I'm thinking that maybe I would be better off just having 1 set of hierarchical keywords, with each keyword in the form Latin name | Common name | Alternate common name 1. The problem with that approach though is that the keyword gets added to the image in that form, rather than the Latin name and common name being added to the (non hierarchical) keywords.

The weather today was mostly cloudy with the sun getting through a hole in the clouds every so often. I think there was probably a good sunset. It was reasonably windy.

Food
Breakfast: Blackcurrant jam toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Sliced peppery sausage with sliced cucumber, sliced cherry tomatoes, sliced peppers, cucumber, iceberg lettuce, and mayonnaise sandwich; satsuma; slice of Fabulous Bakin' boys' raspberry flavour flapjack; Rocky; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Battered fish portion with salt and ground black pepper; mashed potato; peas. Pudding was ⅘ of a Danish pastry. Coffee; Small chocolate egg.

No comments: