Thursday 11 June 2009

Went on a walk

This morning I went on a walk with Rad.

After lunch I checked my email and downloaded the photos I'd taken to my comp. After that I put the washing out and found a dead beetle in the pond. I got in on a stick and took a few photos of it, but then it fell off the stick, which was annoying since I hadn't taken many photos of it. I couldn't get it to go back on the stick either.

After dinner I finished watching Indiana Jones and The Crystal Skull with Moccle and L. I thought it was really good, you can read my review here: Indiana Jones and The Crystal Skull Review. I went in the garden and took a few photos, then watched Springwatch with L, Rad and Moohar.

After Springwatch I did some googling to see if it was best to connect to MySQL via a socket or port (tcp). Searching for "MySQL socket port" and MySQL sock vs port" didn't come up with much comparing them speedwise, but according to the MySQL documentation, connecting via socket is faster than by port.

After that I tried to find out how to make sure I connect to the server using a socket when using the PHP mysqli extension. The MySQL page I linked to above says
A Unix socket file is used if you don't specify a host name or if you specify the special host name localhost.
Reading the PHP Manual page for mysqli, that says
When possible, pipes will be used instead of the TCP/IP protocol.
So it seems I need to make sure that I connect to localhost and also either specify the socket when connecting or set it as the default socket in php.ini.

It's only 22.23 but I'm feeling quite sleepy (I think it's something to do with hayfever), so I'll have to get that setup tomorrow as I'm going to go to bed now.

Food
Breakfast: Bowl of Choc crunch oat cereal; Cup o' tea.
After walk snack: Malted milk; choc chip cookie; coffee.
Lunch: Grated mature cheddar cheese with sweet & crunchy salad sandwich; apple; caramel Rocky; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Slice of spinach pizza with sliced pepperami added; sweet & crunchy salad; chips; salt. Pudding was a slice of mandarin cheese cake and a slice of Danube cake. Coffee; Chocolate santa.
Supper: Hot chocolate; malted milk; milk chocolate digestive.

No comments: