Saturday 24 October 2009

Geo-coding holiday photos

This morning I woke up at about 3am. By 5.30am I still hadn't got back to sleep so I thought I might as well get up.

I read the latest Nikonians e-zine (issue 42), then after that started tidying up and packing away some of the holiday stuff.

When trying to copy the last few days gps tracklogs to my PC before we left Japan, I had found that they didn't exist! I thought that maybe the gps had been making the tracklogs, but then deleted them for some reason, so this morning I checked the micro SD card from the gps on my PC using Handy Recovery to search for deleted files. Unfortunately it seems that the gps just hadn't been creating the tracklogs, as the only deleted files Handy Recovery could find were old tracklogs I'd deleted myself.

Very annoying. I was pretty sure that I had checked that gps tracklog recording was on within the few days of tracklogs that were lost, so what happened to them I don't know. I guess the thing I should have done was to copy the gps tracklogs every day, that way I probably would have lost one days tracklogs at most, instead of the 6 days that I lost.

So I spent all day trying to geocode the last few days photos from google maps (using GeoSetter) by memory. Some photos you could tell where they were taken, others, like shops, I've tried to find as best as I could but often could find no way to locate where the photo was taken, so I just had to put a point somewhere around the area it was taken.

While images were being processed/geo-coded, I went on various photo websites. One announcement that sounded quite good was Lightroom Beta 3, which seems to have a nice export to Flickr function. Apparently you should be able to make your own export scripts/plugins, but I couldn't find any info on this for Lightroom Beta 3. What I'd like to do is to setup a panel so I could upload to my photo website as well as various photo sharing websites directly from Lightroom. If Lightroom could also send extra info with the image to my website, this would make it pretty awesome and I might have to start using it and buy a copy.

After getting most of the images without tracklogs geocoded I did a backup of them.

Food
Breakfast: Bowl of Strawberry crunch oat cereal; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Mature Cheddar Cheese sandwich made with fresh bread-maker-made bread; Crust of fresh bread-maker-made bread with Strawberry Jam; Banana; 1½ slices of home-made Victoria Sponge sandwich cake; Rocky; cup o' tea.
Dinner: 2x delee sausages; Mashed potato; baked beans; tinned plum tomatoes; ground black pepper. Pudding was home-made Banoffee Pie. Coffee; 2x pieces of Tesco's cheapo chocolate; piece of Sainsbury's caramel chocolate.

No comments: