Thursday 24 June 2010

installing stuff

This morning I was mainly installing programs for my new Windows 7 install. So far Windows 7 seems quite a bit slower than Vista when starting up programs. I also decided to switch to Chrome from Firefox, so I had to install Firefox, import the bookmarks from the backup into Firefox, then import the bookmarks from Firefox into Chrome.

I'm not sure if Chrome is actually any better at managing memory than Firefox - it uses a separate process for each tab, so it's not easy to see what the total memory usage is. It's certainly quite a bit with 9 tabs open anyway.

I also watched episode 10 of Springwatch, which I had missed when it was on a couple of weeks ago.

In the afternoon I spent quite a while looking at info on IDs that had been suggested to me for some of my photos. I also spent quite a while in the back garden taking photos of green bottles that were enjoying a dead slug.

After that I tried to start work on a new version of my XMP File Info panel, using Flash Builder 4 (which is part of the Adobe CS5 trial I've installed). The first few times I tried to build the project, I just got an error saying
Failed to Publish Panel. Run the ant build using the build.xml file for accurate debugging information.



I have no idea how to Run the ant build using the build.xml file, but after trying a few different things, I found the reason the build was failing was because I was trying to output the compiled file to a directory inside 'Program Files', which you need administrator privileges to write to. So to fix it, I just had to run Flash Builder as an administrator.

After dinner I watched an episode of Star Trek TNG, then tried to take some more green bottle photos in the garden.

In the evening I watched most of the first half of the Japan vs. Denmark match, which was quite good. Then I tried to build my XMP File Info panel by replacing the example files with my own, but when I tried to build I got the same Failed to Publish Panel. Run the ant build using the build.xml file for accurate debugging information. error message. I had run Flash builder with administrator privileges, so it wasn't due to that.

I tried to build the project directly using ant, as the error message suggested, but then I just got an error The directory name is invalid, even when I used absolute paths. Admittedly, I was using the 'antRun.bat' executable from the Flash Builder ant plugin, which I'm not sure is the correct way to run ant. The other two windows executables in the folder, ant.bat, and ant.cmd both seemed to just treat the build.xml file as shell commands though, so I just got loads of errors like
E:\Rusty's docs\my_xmp_schema\image-xmpPanel v2>this work for additional information regarding copyright ownership.
'this' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.


So I deleted the panel files and then started a new project. This time I'll try and slowly modify the example panel files (which works) into my panel, testing after each change to hopefully find what's breaking the build process. Annoying that Flash Builder can't just return the error that ant spits out when a build fails though.

No comments: