Thursday 17 June 2010

Processing photos

Today I was just working on my photos from the walk me and McRad went on last Saturday, and I also watched (the last episode of) Springwatch in the evening.

Unfortunately my PC broke, so after waiting ages for it to shut down with nothing happening, I eventually did a hard reset. But I then got an error that the registry was corrupted and so Windows couldn't start.

The error message said I needed to repair Windows by booting from the Windows CD, but I first tried Safe Mode and 'Last known good configuration', to no avail. I also checked my BIOS settings to see if the onboard sound had been enabled (would clash with the soundcard), since my system seems to have been a bit buggy lately. But the onboard sound wasn't enabled in the BIOS, and I couldn't see any obviously wrong settings in the BIOS either.

So I booted from the Windows DVD and did the repair, but then got a different error about the registry being corrupted. I tried the various different boot modes again, still no luck. So I booted from the DVD again, except when I pressed the any key to boot from disk, it booted from the hard drive instead (and so I got the same old error).

I booted from the DVD again, and this time it worked. The repair also worked this time. So I didn't finish processing the photos. I have two more to process, then the majority still need descriptions, titles (headlines), and tagging.

No comments: