Friday 22 April 2011

Accidentally going on a long walk

Today I was mainly metadataring and uploading some photos to my photo website. I didn't actually get that many done all day, maybe 30-40. And although I thought it would clear some space on my hard drive (the 'to process' images I store on a different drive than the processed images), it doesn't seem to have made much difference.

In the evening I watched Sands of Iwo Jima, a John Wayne WWII film with Mausy. It was quite good, the green screening wasn't well done, but it seemed they mixed in lots of real stock footage, which made the film much more realistic and provided scenes that couldn't be done without a large budget.

I also went on a walk in the evening. I went up to East Farndon, then I followed the Jurassic way footpath, which I thought would take me back towards Lubenham. Unfortunately it didn't, and I ended up near Sibbertoft. So I then had to walk down the road towards Marston Trussell, it was now getting quite dark. By the time I reached Marston Trussell it was dark. I then carried on down the road to Lubenham, stepping onto the grass verge whenever a car came (I wasn't expecting to be out in the dark, so I didn't have any lights with me).

Then when I got to Lubenham I could finally walk along the pavement, and walked back home to Harborough. Checking the GPS tracklog length in Google Earth, it gives 3.5 and 6.1 miles (the tracklog is split in two as the batteries ran out while I was walking through a field). So I think I did quite well to do nearly 10 miles walking in about 3 hours (7pm - 10pm).

My feet and legs ached quite a bit by the time I got back home though. But I didn't get any blisters, which was a nice surprise. Obviously the insoles I bought are quite good in that aspect. When I used to walk home from work (which was about 10 miles) every Friday for a while when we lived in Sussex, I would always get really big blisters across my feet that I'd have to cut open with a knife / scissors.

No comments: