Tuesday 20 March 2012

Trying to fix a website

This morning I added a couple of recipes to my recipe website, sorted some pog images, and started checking some stats for my websites.

After lunch I carried on checking the site stats, and found a problem with one of my sites. The site had a pop-up div with a transparent grey overlay behind it. But the grey overlay wasn't showing up. I spent most of the rest of the afternoon trying to figure out what the problem was, and how to fix it.

I never did figure out what the problem was though, my local dev copy of the site worked fine, but the live site didn't, and I couldn't see any differences in the code. The overlay was created using jquery tools, so I tried the latest version of that, but that didn't work at all and just threw a javascript error.

Then I tried to post about the problem on the jquery tools forum, but I just kept getting an 'authorisation required' message when I tried to post a question. (Yes, I did sign up and was logged in). After doing some more research it seems that jquery tools has not quite been abandoned, but is not really being actively developed any more either.

Searching for jquery tools alternatives, it seemed most people suggested jqueryUI. So I tried that, but in the end I actually just re-used some other code I had written elsewhere that does the same overlay job.

In the evening I watched an episode of David Roberts (NHK Let's learn Japanese), and processed one of the panos that I took yesterday.

No comments: