Sunday, 22 July 2012

Is Inspector Boglin gobblin' a cob Lynne?

This morning I updated my pog website. Then I started off a binary compare between one of my backups and the original data while I went to Church.

In the afternoon I just went on the internet for a bit while I waited for the binary compare to finish. When it did finish, I saw I had problems with some files that weren't readable.

It was a permissions problem (seems to happen quite a bit in Windows). I changed the owner on the folder, and ticked the box to apply to subfolders and files. Then I changed the permissions, and ticked the box to apply to subfolders and files. But got a read access permission error on the problem files when I clicked OK.

Doing some googling, I found the solution here: Vista - Changing folder permissions recursively. Open dos prompt as administrator, then run icacls "e:\path\to\files" /grant administrators:F /t. I also used to this trick to fix the permissions on a file that windows wouldn't let me delete or change permissions for through the file properties.

In Google Webmaster tools, I saw that I was getting 404s for comments/feed/. I checked, and it was returning a 404. Googling didn't turn up much helpful. Most seemed to have problems with plugins causing it. Then I found this post, which flags it up as a wordpress bug: WordPress Comments Feed 404 Fixed.

Thankfully they provide a solution there (involves hacking the Wordpress core). It would be nice to think that this will be fixed in future Wordpress releases, but I won't be holding my breath.

In the evening I went out to take a few photos.

No comments: