Friday 26 November 2010

Various

This morning I processed a pano from our trip to Korea, now over a year ago.

Yesterday when sorting a few Korea photos taken with the Nikon 50mm f/1.4D lens, I noticed that they were back focused.

So in the afternoon today I took some test photos with the lens on my D200, and found that it did have a back focusing problem. Next I checked my 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G lens at 50mm and 70mm, and that back focused as well. Then I tried my 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR lens, but this seemed to work okay.

So I wasn't sure if the 18-70mm and 50mm lenses back focused or the D200 back focused and the 70-300mm lens front focused. I was in a bit of a pickle as I wanted the 50mm lens at least working for some photography I've got coming up in December.

Then I remembered that I had the Fuji IS-Pro, which is Nikon F mount. So I tried the 50mm and 18-70mm lenses on that, and they both auto-focused okay.

I did a google search to see if anyone else had trouble with the D200 back focusing, and found this thread: D200 back focus?, which had a few people complaining about back focus with their D200s. Thankfully, the thread also contains a link to a website with information on how to adjust the focus in the D200: My Camera needs adjusting. Can I do it myself?

Unfortunately, I couldn't get the allen key into the hole, so I gave up after a bit of trying. The position of the hole also means that you have to put the allen key very close to the sensor, and when you're trying to wiggle it to get it to lock into the hole, you could easily slip and damage the sensor. I might try again tomorrow though.

I went out on a walk about 3pm to try and get some sunset photos, but unfortunately the sun set behind a bank of cloud again, and so there was no sunset to be seen. The ground was mostly frozen, which made a nice change to the usual wet mud of the countryside paths at this time of year.

In the evening I watched an episode of Star Trek Deep Space 9 and an episode of VR Troopers with Mauser and Bo.

After that I added a description etc. to the pano I'd processed in the morning and then uploaded it to my website.

I also purchased 3 years of hosting from HostGator as they had a special 50% off Black Friday sale, making it $4/month instead of the normal $8/month for a 3 year plan.

Later in the evening I did a Japanese lesson with Mauser.

I received my print from Snap Mad today as well, it looks quite good other than a small blob of ink in the top left corner. I'll probably do a more detailed review and put it on my photo website blog.

No comments: