Friday 23 July 2010

Format completed!

This morning the format of my replacement drive from Western Digital finally completed, only took 41 hours!

I switched the PC off, then replaced one of my current drives with the new drive. I switched the PC on again, and then copied across the pictures folder to the new drive using Windows Explorer. This eliminated most the factors that could be causing a non-faulty hard drive to be slow - the power cable, SATA cable, SATA hot swap drive bay, not enough power, and the Beyond Compare software.

The copy worked okay, about 60MB/s transfer rate, and the 1.25TB backup completed in about 5 hours. So it seems the problem is not with the drive, but one of the above factors. I couldn't find a spare SATA cable (other than the one I swapped out a week or two ago that I thought might be faulty), so I emailed Mauser to ask him to bring one back from work.

While I was waiting for the backup to finish I just went on the internet. In the afternoon I finally finished off my defished Tokina fisheye comparison blog post for my photo website, and posted that.

Later in the afternoon and a bit of the evening I sorted some more photos.

Also in the evening I watched 'Braindead' with Mauser, which was pretty funny, but also a bit weird in places (like a giant naked zombie version of the guy's mum).

No comments: