Thursday 8 July 2010

VMing

This morning I processed some photos, then started to get my VPC VMs setup so I could test my websites on IE6 and IE7. I followed the guide at Sitepoint: Run IE6, IE7, and IE8 on the Same Machine Using Windows 7 XP Mode, except I didn't get as far as making the shortcuts to abbr title="Internet Explorer">IE6 & 7 as the VMs both had loads of updates to install.

In the afternoon I finished installing the updates, and did some website testing.

During the time between Vista constantly breaking and Windows 7 arriving, I was stuck with a base install of Vista (with no updates installed). When I had looked at my pog website in IE7 during this time, I found it wasn't working properly. So now I had my IE6 and 7 VMs setup in Windows 7, I loaded the site in IE7 to try and debug what the problem was.

But the main problem I was looking for wasn't there. I wondered if it was a problem with IE7 only on Vista, so I downloaded the Vista IE7 VHD.

When that was all downloaded and installed, I tested the site, and indeed, the problem did exist on IE7 in Vista, but not in XP. I then spent quite a while updating the Vista VM, and trying to install the integration tools and SP1 (with no luck).

I did fix one problem with my site in IE7, which was that an element with display: inline-block wasn't displaying inline. Through googling I found the fix was that the element must have hasLayout and display: inline, then it will behave as an inline-block element.

It took me quite a long time to figure this out though, mainly because my CSS declaration for the element in question was more specific than the one in my IE7 stylesheet (so the main CSS declaration took precedence). If I get time then I will try and rewrite my CSS according to the advice given at Top 5 Mistakes of Massive CSS.

I also spent quite a while trying to debug a problem where IE7 stops applying a margin-left at certain window sizes. I couldn't find the answer, but at least now have a test-case page.

In the evening I watched the new Star Trek film with Mauser and Bo, then took some photos in the garden.

No comments: