Sunday 4 July 2010

Various stuff

This morning I cut out some pogs in Photoshop and went to Church. After Lunch I watched an episode of Life with Mauser and Bo, then went to bed as I had a bad headache.

Later in the afternoon I updated my Pog website, then upgraded Wordpress on my local copy of my photo website. After fixing it to use numerical entities instead of named entities (and so be XML/XHTML compatible), I upgraded the various plugins that had updates.

I edited the smart youtube plugin to use the cross-browser XHTML valid youtube embed, but when I went to test it on IE8, I found the video wasn't working. So I spent quite a while trying to figure out why it wasn't working. It would just have an empty flash object instead of the video. I checked youtube, and that was working okay.

Eventually I gave up and thought I'd just test it on the other browsers. But when I tested it on Firefox, it didn't work there either. So I followed the advice on this thread: Why is it I can't see embedded YouTube videos? I didn't think that uninstalling Flash and then re-installing it would fix the problem, but it did.

I also had a problem with not being able to disable Hardware Virtualization in MS Virtual PC, as it conflicts with VMWare. I tried installing Virtual PC 2007, but you just get a message saying that it isn't compatible with this version of windows (Windows 7). So I posted on the Windows help forum: How to disable hardware virtualization?

No comments: