Wednesday 21 July 2010

Waiting for a hard-drive to format

This morning I processed some photos.

My replacement hard-drive arrived from Western Digital, and when it came to formatting it, I saw that there was an exFAT file system option. I looked at exFAT, and then how the Linux ext2/3 file system compares to NTFS. After reading this thread: NTFS vs Ext File Systems, I came to the conclusion that ext3 doesn't really have benefits over NTFS.

So in the afternoon I did a quick format, then tried to backup my Pictures to it. But it was being really slow, the same problem I had with the drive this new one replaced.

So I started doing a full format, in case the problem was something to do with not doing a full format of the drive. I went out in the garden for a bit and took a few more photos, then wrote a bit of a photo blog post. I couldn't publish it though, as I 'need' to upload the stuff to my Ubuntu VM before I upload it to the live website. (Allows me to keep a copy of the live website without uploading to the web server first and then downloading it back to my PC).

And I didn't really want to load up my Ubuntu VM while I was formatting the hard-drive in case it caused any problems with the format.

The Bananas were getting a bit over-ripe, so I made a banana cake with them. But when I tried to tip the cake out onto a wire rack (as the recipe said to), the insides of the cake fell out. Obviously, the cake should have been left to cool in the tin before trying to tip it out onto a wire rack.

After dinner I watched 'City of Violence', a Korean film a bit kill bill-ish, but also with elements of other various movies. It had a couple of reasonably good action scenes, sometimes the cuts (that's camera cuts) were too quick too see what has happening properly though. The story wasn't that great either.

When the film had finished I decided that I might as well start up Ubuntu as the format was only 15% done. If I didn't do any CPU / HD intensive work on my PC until the format was done, I'd be waiting too long.

Annoyingly, I'm going to have to leave my noisy PC on overnight as the format is only 22% done, and its 22:40 now.

No comments: