Monday 2 November 2009

Recording a video

This morning I checked my email, and had had some pog scans emailed to me, so I cut them out in photoshop, then added them to the website.

After that I renamed the files from the 2nd day (I think) of our Shropshire holiday in July, and also had to copy the exif data to files stitched or defished in PTGUI.

When that was done, I re-processed one of the files and recorded a video of me doing it.

After lunch I downloaded a demo of Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9.0. Looking on Amazon, I saw it was only about £50 - Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 Pro Pack.

After installing it and registering - you need to register your details with Sony even for just the demo version, I tried editing my video in it. I found that cutting clips into sections was quite easy, so I cut up a clip to remove the start and end parts where I'm just clicking on CamStudio to start and stop the recording.

A couple of parts in the clip include just waiting for the RAWs to process, or the photoshop file to save. So I wanted to speed these bits up a lot. I split the clip to isolate these parts, when I tried to increase the speed of those clips, I could only increase it to 4x speed (which is still quite slow). Doing some googling it seemed that you should use a Velocity Envelope, but this is only available in Sony Vegas Pro (which costs £400-500).

So I tried editing a clip on Moccle's PC, which has Adobe Premier installed on it. It took me quite a while to work out how to split a clip into smaller clips (eventually had to look at the help), but it did have the ability to set the speed of clips to whatever you want (well, there probably are limits, but not restrictive ones like in Sony Vegas).

The problem with Adobe Premier was that it was hard to tell from the preview window if it was doing what you wanted - when increasing speed of a clip by 1000% it looked a bit like it was just doing the first bit of the clip at a slightly faster speed and then skipping the end of the clip.

After getting everything organised how I wanted, I exported the video to an flv. While that was processing I checked my email and The Web Squeeze again, and found I had had a reply to my question about multiple inheritance in PHP. The reply basically said that to get around the problem of PHP not supporting multiple inheritance, you would have to expose the internal/protected properties and methods of the class you want your new class to 'inherit' from.

I was sure that I had read lots of replies to the question of multiple inheritance in PHP that said that multiple inheritance was not needed, and if you think you need it, then you've not structured your classes properly. So if I need to expose the internal properties and functions of my classes with my current class structure to get around PHP not supporting multiple inheritance, this would indicate either
  • My classes are structured wrongly
  • Multiple inheritance is needed in PHP


So I googled 'PHP multiple inheritance', and found most of the threads that I'd read originally, but actually couldn't find any comments on them that said if you think you need multiple inheritance in PHP, then you've not structured your classes properly. So I guess the answer is that Multiple inheritance is needed in PHP.

If anyone finds this post and disagrees with me about PHP needing to support multiple inheritance, and instead thinks my classes must not be structured properly (which is quite possible), please take a look at the thread over at the websqueeze: Multiple Inheritance in PHP - How should I structure my classes to work without it? and let me know how I should be structuring my classes.

When I started work modifying my classes to expose internal/protected parameters, I found that upgrading to Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala had yet again broken phpMyAdmin. Luckily the normal Ubuntu update had broken (and forced me to fix) phpMyadmin just a few days ago, so I didn't even have to bother referring to my previous post Upgrading Ubuntu broke phpMyAdmin to fix it, as I could still remember the fix - chown -R /usr/share/phpmyadmin to the correct user and group (in my case webapps:webapps), and chmod o=r /etc/phpmyadmin/db-config.php.

The rest of the afternoon and evening I was just working on my photo website, still trying to convert a bit of code to OO.

The weather today was quite windy and pretty cold, though also quite sunny most of the day.

Food
Breakfast: home-made pain au chocolat without chocolate with strawberry jam and margarine; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Chilli sausage, mayonnaise, grated mature cheddar cheese, sliced cherry tomatoes, and iceberg lettuce sandwich (it was rather fat); home-made pain au chocolat without chocolate with strawberry jam and margarine; Clementine; Slice of home-made honey and raisin flapjack; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Spaghetti bolognese; meatballs; ground black pepper; parmesan cheese. Pudding was sultana cake with custard. Coffee; 2x pieces of Sainsbury's Mint Creme Chocolate.
Supper: Choc chip cookie; shortbread finger; cup o' tea.

No comments: