Wednesday 11 November 2009

Websiting

Today I was working on my short URL website, just getting a very basic version working on my Ubuntu virtual machine so I can use it while working on my photo website (which requires a short URL service for the blog posts).

While working on it, I read a good couple of posts about writing your own API in PHP. I didn't implement most of the stuff in the articles as I just want my service to be simple and fast, but it's worth bookmarking for future reference.

In the morning I also read quite a bit about the Ricoh GXR camera, which is quite intriguing in that it is a camera body with no sensor, and then you buy lenses for it that come integrated with a sensor, so each lens has a different sensor, specially optimised for that lens.

I'm not that much a fan of the idea of having the sensor integrated with the lens, I think it would be a better idea to have the sensor integrated with the body and offer bodies with different sizes (or maybe also have the sensor as a separate component). That way you could use say a 70-300mm lens with a large sensor or a small sensor and much more zoom (or technically crop).

In the afternoon and evening I also did quite a bit of work trying to tie the short URL service in with the photo website blog, which I found very difficult. Wordpress has quite a lot of 'actions' that you can 'hook' into, but it's difficult to work out what ones you need and also what functions etc. you need to use to get or modify certain values.

Food
Breakfast: Bowl of Asda Golden Balls cereal; Cup o' tea.
Morning snack: Dark chocolate digestive; shortbread finger; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Bowl of vegetable fake cup a soup; slice of toast; Clementine; Apple; Rocky; Cup o' tea.
Dinner: Spaghetti Bolognese; Mixed veg; Ground black pepper; Parmesan cheese. Pudding was rice pudding with stewed plums. Coffee; Small packet of Milkybar buttons.

No comments: