Thursday 30 July 2009

This morning I had received another reply on the WebFaction forums to my post about the $_SERVER['REDIRECT_STATUS'] being incorrect, and they suggested using Apache with mod_fcgid and the worker MPM instead of Nginx and spawn-fcgi.

I did a bit of googling, but couldn't find anything comparing these 2 methods of running PHP, so posted back to ask if they knew how they compared. I'm guessing that they don't know how they compare, but worth asking anyway. Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to do a comparison between them both myself.

After looking into that, I read a thread on The WebSqueeze about converting from XHTML to HTML5. That got me wondering about whether XHTML documents with RDFa require the XHTML+RDFa 1.0 Doctype. Looking at the Conformance Requirements for RDFa, it seemed like it should be okay with the HTML5 doctype.

Then I did some reading on RDFa and HTML5, and it seemed like Ian Hickson is very much against RDFa in HTML, and had even invented a rival format - microdata, which seems a bit more long winded than RDFa (due to xmlns being deprecated in HTML5 I guess).

Luckily it seems that RDFa support in HTML5 is still being pushed, and hopefully xml namespaces support will be included as well (see section 1.5.3 The xmlns: attribute of HTML5+RDFa Editor's Draft.

After lunch I went on Animal Crossing, then I did some work on my website. In reading the RDFa articles earlier, I noticed that they used dataType and content attributes. I hadn't used these at all in marking up my photos metadata, so I started editing my page to include these where appropriate. w3Schools has a good list and examples of possible dataType attribute values.

When I was going through my webpage, and checking what dataType properties should have, by inspecting their value in Adobe Bridge, I found that there were two properties for Aperture, and they had different values as well - exif:FNumber and exif:ApertureValue. Doing some googling I found that exif:FNumber was the one I wanted. This post explains the difference: Difference between exif:FNumber and exif:ApertureValue.

After dinner I watched 'Follow the Boys' with Moccle, which was mmm maniacal. It's just a load of mostly raddish (well, I guess depends on your musical tastes) musical performances. Orson Welles the magician was quite good though.

I did a little more website work, trying to get my 404 page to work in IE6, then went to bed.

The weather today was windy, with a mixture of sun, cloud, and showers.

Food
Breakfast: Blood Orange marmalade toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Smoked ham with mustard, sliced vine tomato, sliced peppers, and iceberg lettuce sandwich; ½ big banana; nectarine; 2x Jaffa Cakes; Time Out (single); cup o' tea.
Dinner: Chilli bean burger in a bun with grated cheese, tomato ketchup, sliced peppers, and iceberg lettuce; Vegetable fake cup a soup; Barbeque chicken wing. Coffee. Pudding was home-made ice cream with chocolate sauce. Piece of Sainsbury's caramel chocolate; Piece of Sainsbury's turkish delight chocolate; Piece of Sainsbury's truffle chocolate.

No comments: