Tuesday 28 July 2009

With running NGinX, spawn-fcgi, and MySQL on my account with WebFaction, I have virtually no memory free. So I can either upgrade to a package with more memory (costs more obviously), or otherwise try and run less programs.

I was thinking that maybe I could stop using my own installation of NGinX and spawn-fcgi, and just use WebFaction's global PHP application. I wouldn't be able to use the Imagick PHP extension, but that's not too much of a problem, I'd just need to use the Command line Image Magick convert application instead. A bit slower than the Imagick PHP extension, but not too much of a problem.

However, then I realised that I would also need to be using the same version of MySQL that WebFaction's global PHP application was configured for. That would mean that I would need to keep track of whenever they updated their global MySQL version, and update mine also. This puts me off doing this for the moment. I'm not sure what version of MySQL their global PHP application was configured for, and whether it is a version supporting Triggers and Prepared Statements (which I need).

In the morning I did some more work on my photo website.

After lunch I went on Animal crossing, then did some more work on my photo website.

I went out in the garden for a bit, then decided to try and sort some of the photos in my 'Needs Sorting' folder, as I'm running out of space on the partition containing that folder (my 'Needs Sorting' folder is currently 161 GB, comprised of 23,381 Files and 671 Folders).

I moved a folder of Birdsfoot Trefoil photos from my Needs Sorting folder, and thought I might as well tag them with the correct Hierarchical keyword while I was also creating the correct Hierarchical Folder structure to store them in. After tagging them with the correct Hierarchical keyword in Adobe Bridge CS4, I decided that actually I would change the name of one of the upper level keywords in the Hierarchical keywords list.

This meant that I also had to delete the existing Hierarchical keywords that were embedded in the images' xmp. I unticked all the keywords for the images in the Keyword Panel in Adobe Bridge CS4, but when I viewed the Raw Data in the File Info panel, the old Hierarchical Keyword was still in the images' XMP.

Doing some googling I found Adobe Bridge CS4 - Remove keywords from a file. Normally when you have a file that has keywords (both Hierarchical and standard keywords), these keywords will appear in the keywords panel in Adobe Bridge CS4 in italic type. However, for my images, the Hierarchical Keywords weren't showing up in the Keywords panel, so I couldn't untick them. Also, the 'Remove Keywords' option on the Keywords panel was greyed out, so I couldn't use that to remove the keywords either.

I tried ticking a Hierarchical Keyword in the Keywords panel, and then alt-clicking that same Hierarchical Keyword to forcibly remove it, hoping Adobe Bridge CS4 would see also that the other Hierarchical Keyword in the XMP wasn't ticked, and should be removed. Unfortunately this didn't work.

However, ticking a keyword, and then using the 'Remove Keywords' option on the Keywords panel did work, and removed the old Hierarchical Keyword, So I could now add the Hierarchical Keyword again, and it would be the one with the upper level keyword that I had renamed.

The other thing I found was that the Hierarchical Keyword will only appear ticked in the Keywords panel of Adobe Bridge CS4 if the Hierarchical Keyword also exists as a normal keyword (dc:subject).

After dinner I watched an episode of 'The Equalizer'.

I was going through my Synkron backup tabs one by one because I knew on some tabs files weren't being copied (probably due to permission problems), so I wanted to check what the problem files were and try and fix them. One set of files I found weren't copying because they weren't encrypted. However, when I tried to decrypt them, I just got a message "An error occurred applying attributes to the file. Access is denied".

Googling for this error brings up a couple of different Microsoft Knowledgebase articles about fixing it, both with different solutons. I tried both solutions, but neither worked. Then reading other pages further down the Google results page, I found that actually it's not possible to decrypt encrypted files unless you encrypted them yourself or have the encryption key. The files in question were work files to go with a PHP book. Since obviously I didn't create them, or have the encryption key, and didn't need or use them anyway, I just deleted them.

I did some more photo editing/sorting, then went to bed.

The weather today was overcast nearly all day, though I don't think it actually rained.

Food
Breakfast: Blackcurrant jam toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Honey Roast Ham with mustard, sliced vine tomato, and iceberg lettuce sandwich; Banana; 2x Jaffa Cakes; cup o' tea; Sainsbury's truffle chocolate; Sainsbury's turkish delight chocolate.
Dinner: Spaghetti Carbonara; bits of bacon; broccoli. Pudding was an American style apple and raisin Brownie cookie and an American style Chocolate Brownie cookie. Coffee; Sainsbury's truffle chocolate.
Supper: Bourbon biscuit; custard cream; cup o' tea.

No comments: