Wednesday 8 July 2009

Trying to install MySQL

This morning I tried to install MySQL 5.4.0 on the web server, but without success. First I found that when doing a make install, I was getting the same error as when I tried to make MySQL 5.4.1 yesterday, i.e.
libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

Reviewing the output in the shell, I could see this occured when it got to
Making install in dbdict
So I changed my configuration options from --plugings=max to --plugins=innobase as InnoDB is the only plugin I actually need at the moment.

After changing that, mysql installed okay, but when I tried to start mysqld_safe, it exited straight away. After trying changing various configuration options, I decided to delete it and try installing again. While I was waiting I read some photo websites. But after installing it again, it still wouldn't work. In the error log it had
InnoDB: Error: pthread_create returned 11

Googling for this error only brought up a couple of pages of results, and I only found one which seemed to be relevant (quite a few of the results were copies of the same thing), and in this case they solved it by disabling SELinux.

So I raised tickets with WebFaction for both the libtool: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable and InnoDB: Error: pthread_create returned 11 errors. Possibly the errors aren't due to the Server setup, but rather something I'm doing, and so WebFaction won't be able to help, but I won't know if I don't ask them.

After lunch I went on Animal Crossing, then I read an article on Object Oriented PHP, as I really need to learn how to do OOP, as I currently only write procedural style PHP. The article was very good and helpful, but I can't figure out how to convert my existing code to classes.

I decided that I would take a break from doing website stuff, and sorted some of my photos that were in my 'Needs Sorting' folder.

After dinner I finished watching Red Cliff 2 with Moccle, but it took ages as the subtitles kept going out of sync. I found a program that lets you re-sync the subs, but it was still quite difficult to get the subs and speech in sync correctly. It didn't really have any pointless bits in it, unlike the first film. And since you already know all the characters from the first film, it's not hard to keep track of all the different characters, unlike the first film.

After that I did some more photo editing/sorting.

Food
Breakfast: Strawberry jam toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Slice of roast beef, sliced vine tomato, iceberg lettuce, and mustard sandwich; grapes; caramel Rocky; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Chilli con carne; Rice; Tortilla chips; grated cheese. Pudding was Neapolitan ice cream with necatrine. Coffee; 2x white chocolate buttons; Cadbury's Roses.

No comments: