Monday 17 August 2009

Having a headache

This morning I finished off getting my pog website working on the server. Then I checked my running processes on the server, and discovered that there was an apache worker process for each of my websites, so about 5 or 6 processes, and each one was taking about 20MBs of memory each, which was using up all of my memory allowance (even though I've upgraded to the hosting package that's one above the most basic one recently).

I didn't realise that this was the case, and thought all my static/cgi/php apps would run through a global instance of apache, and so not affect my memory usage (which is why I ran my sites as static/cgi/php apps rather than going through my custom app which points to Nginx). So it seems I'll now need to change the site again to get it running through Nginx rather than apache (this will also involve moving the site files to a different directory, so some of the filepaths are going to get messed up).

After lunch I watched an episode of Me, too! with Lad, in which the school had their Sports day in a public park!?! Also Mickey John couldn't jump, then fell over and looked weird. 'Twas funny.

Then played on Animal for a bit, then went to bed as I had a bad headache. Later in the afternoon I got up as my headache wasn't getting any better and I couldn't get to sleep, and went in the garden. Weirdly there didn't seem to be any insects around, though when I had been in the garden at about 11am in the morning, there had been loads around.

After that I tried installing ImageMagick, and PHP5.3 (with imagick). I also checked that I had the latest version of MySQL 5.4, and I did. When installing PHP5.3, I got a couple of error messages when doing the ./configure, that it didn't understand the options --enable-fastcgi --enable-force-cgi-redirect and --with-ming. It seems that PHP5.3 is built with --enable-fastcgi --enable-force-cgi-redirect by default now, and I guess that ming is an extension that used to be included with PHP, but isn't any more. I looked it up on the PECL website, and it seems that it's used for creating Flash, so I don't actually need it, so I just ran ./configure again without those options.

Installing those took the rest of the afternoon, as I made a few mistakes trying to configure and make ImageMagick, so I had to re-do it a few times.

While I was waiting for stuff to configure, make, and make install, I checked Andy Rouse's blog, and Moose Peterson's blog.

In the evening I went on Wii Sports Resort for a bit, and also tried to configure Nginx so it could handle my sites instead of Apache. I'll need to do some more work on this tomorrow.

The weather today was a mixture of sun and clouds. I thought that the sunset was going to be rubbish as it looked like the sun was going to set behind a bank of cloud, as it often does. However, the cloud must not have been going all the way beyond the horizon, so the sun could actually shine up from underneath it after it had set.

Food
Breakfast: 2x slices of Malt loaf with butter; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Ham with mustard, sliced cherry plum tomatoes, sliced peppers, and iceberg lettuce sandwich; Banana; Fairtrade chocolate wafer biscuit; cup o' tea; Piece of Sainsbury's Turkish delight chocolate; Piece of Sainsbury's Truffle chocolate.
Dinner: Spaghetti bolognese; pieces of bacon; ground black pepper; parmesan (or similar) cheese. Pudding was a slice of Genoa fruitcake.
Supper: Butter ring biscuit (cannae remember what the correct name for them is); Dark chocolate digestive; cup o' tea.

No comments: