Wednesday 26 August 2009

Taking more moth photos

Last night before I went to bed I caught a nice white moth, so this morning I took some photos of it. It was a good little chap and didn't fly around except after a bit, and even then it gave me some warning by beating its wings for a bit before flying.

I also looked at P3P privacy policies a bit more. All the P3P Generators I looked at either charged a fee (typically around $30-40), or no longer existed. I tried to see if I could find an example P3P xml file, thinking that I could maybe just modify it to suit my own site. However, when I found one (example P3P policy xml file), it looked quite complicated. I think you'd need to read and understand the P3P spec to modify a P3P xml file yourself.

I'm not sure how privacy policies / P3P policies should incorporate external sources that you incorporate into your site (e.g. Google adwords and Amazon ads), so I think I won't bother implementing a P3P policy for my site at the moment.

I had already downloaded a privacy policy template from Website-law.co.uk, but I needed to check what the Amazon and Google Adwords privacy policies were. The Google ad words privacy policy was pretty easy to find, but the Amazon ads privacy policy I couldn't find from the Amazon Associates website. Doing some googling though, I came across this website, which has a nice easy to read privacy policy, and links to the privacy policies of external sites they include content from, including Amazon.

I checked the websqueeze, and saw I had a reply to one of my questions about grouped CSS selectors. My question was in the context of using them along with javascript to zebra stripe tables. In order to reply to the reply I wanted to check that the zebra striping with javascript on my site didn't work correctly, but that it did work correctly with CSS.

So I loaded up one of my pages displaying the problem in Firefox, but the problem wasn't there. I remembered that I'd updated to FF3.5.2 yesterday, and I think that this must support the CSS pseudo selectors needed to style the table in CSS, so the javascript zebra striping wasn't being used, and this is why the table was now displaying correctly.

So next I tried Opera, but again the table displayed correctly. I guess Opera supports the pseudo selector as well. So I tried IE7, pretty sure that wouldn't support the CSS selector needed to style the table with CSS. But when I tried to load the page, I got a message that

<>The XML page cannot be displayed

Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.


Access is denied. Error processing resource 'http://static1.photosite.com/xhtml.xsl'.

After some messing around, it seemed that the problem was that IE didn't like the XSL stylesheet being on a different domain (well actually a different subdomain) to the main page. So changing the XSL file to be on the same domain as the webpage fixed it.

Anyway, when I did get the site loaded in IE7, I could see that I was correct in the javascript zebra striping of tables not working correctly, while CSS Zebra striping (as used in the other browsers) did work okay.

After lunch I went on Animal Crossing. Then I tried adding the CDs I'd bought off Play.com recently to my computer. Normally I just download the CD rips of the CDs I've bought from isohunt or pirate bay as it's much easier than ripping the CD yourself, plus the downloads include things like the album artwork. However, for most of the CDs, I couldn't find them on isohunt or pirate bay, so I just had to rip them myself, and then I used tag&rename to try and get the album art from amazon.

In the evening I watched 'Seven Swords' with Mockel, which had good action bits, but I didn't think the story was particularly great, which is kind of weird since it said it was based on a book.

Food
Breakfast: Lemon marmalade toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
Lunch: 1¾ cheese on toasts; clementine; plum; Tesco fake caramel Rocky; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Meatballs; Chinese sauce stuff; rice; courgette. Pudding was plum crumble with custard. Coffee.

No comments: