Saturday 27 September 2008

Photographing in the fog

Went out on a walk with Mac and Rad this morning, it was quite foggy. Initially I put a 0.6ND Split filter on the camera, but found that the edge was clearly visible. So I just shot without any filters and had a blown out sky - there wasn't any detail in the sky anyway.

With Split 0.6ND filter (looked okay through the viewfinder):


Without the filter:

After the walk when we were driving home, the sun came out a bit, I think photos taken in the fog when the sun was shining would have looked a lot better than the photos without the sun. Also I could've used a lower ISO and there would be less probability of camera shake ruining the pictures.

When we got home I had a headache, so I had a ibuprofen and then another one with lunch. By the time we started lunch, the fog and cloud had lifted and the sky was a nice blue.

After lunch I sorted and processed the pics from this morning. Unfortunately a lot of them had to be edited to remove a big dust spot in the sky. I downloaded Capture NX2 to see if it would be possible to remove the dust spot in Capture NX rather than converting from NEF to TIFF in Capture NX and then removing the dust spot in photoshop. Capture NX2 only has a healing brush, which doesn't work as well as the patch tool for big dust spots (like I had). Also, in one of the pictures a dust spot was going across some wires, and NX2 messed up the wires. I didn't seem to be able to do a partial selection on the healing brush either (to remove the healed part where the wires were). So I think I'll stick with Capture NX1.3 and photoshop for the moment.

In the evening we went out to a quiz night at Church, where we had fish and chips from a fish & chips shop for dinner. For the quiz you were given sets of 20 dates and 20 notable events, and you had to match the dates with the events, we got something like 56/160.

Food
Breakfast: Lime marmalade toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
After walk snack: Crinkle crunch cream; coffee.
Lunch: Thick slice of still warm bakery bread with edam cheese; slice of still warm bakery bread with honey; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Fish & chip shop fish & chips. For pudding (when we got home) I had a strawberry jam toast sandwich.

No comments: