Thursday 25 September 2008

Processing and taking photos

This morning I hooked up my EOS450D to my PC to try and take some photos of my mouth ulcer. Annoyingly to get the liveview to work you have to press the DoF preview button in the software (EOS Utility) and then press DoF preview off, and then the camera will send the lieview feed. But after about 15secs it will stop the feed and you have to switch the DoF preview on then off again again. This means you only get about 15secs to adjust your shot and take the shot, since you'll inevitably move a bit while pressing the DoF preview on then off.

Anyway, I did get a few pics, but the ulcer seems to just be plain white with no texture.


I also did some shots at 2x, but had to remove the diffusers from the flash heads since I can't get near enough to the lens to get the ulcer in focus with the diffusers on. I also found I needed to move the flash heads round to the side otherwise they blocked too much light. It was also quite hard to focus properly since it was reversed, like looking in a mirror.

After that I tried some eye pics. Unfortunately I had to look at the liveview screen on my monitor rather than looking directly into the lens, which meant the plane of focus was at an angle so the right side is OOF.

This was one of the few shots that doesn't have a bright white reflection of the flash heads in it. PP was removing a dust spot and a curves adjustment to increase contrast.


My eye
by ~djeyewater on deviantART


It was still interesting seeing close-ups of my eye though. I shot mainly at 2x (like above) and 1x. The flash didn't hurt at all, although I could feel it's warmness. After seeing some photos posted by Fred Vachss at dpreview with the Canon Macro ringflash, it looks very attractive. The highlights in his frog pictures look nice and soft and the reflection of the flash heads is quite small and would be easy to clone out. Also it wouldn't stick out as much as the MT-24EX so you could get higher magnifications (where you have to focus closer closer) much easier.

After processing the images, I edited a couple of the ones of my eye to remove flash reflections, and posted the above one (which I didn't remove flash reflections from) to deviant art.

After lunch I checked my spleenmail and made my bed, then went in the garden and found the same caterpillar as yesterday and took some photos of it with the 450d, MP-E and MT-24EX.

Then I processed those pics and some other pics and uploaded some to wild about britain (WAB).

After dinner me, Ben and Mac watched a bit more of LOTR: ROTK. Then Ben had to do his homework so I went on t'pinternet and checked dpreview, hotukdeals, redbubble, WAB and hotmail. Following dat I tuk sum Fotos of Ben and stuf. Then I sorted and Ben loves Po Cess pitted them. Here's a few random ones:











The weather today was cloudy most of the time, but clear blue sky at the end of the day.

Food
Breakfast: Honey toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
Lunch: ½ Edam cheese on tiger loaf bread sandwich; 1 slice tiger loaf; ½ honey tiger loaf bread sandwich; banana; chocolate digestive bar; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Slice of BBQ Chicken pizza; peas; potato; chips. Pudding was raspberry ripple ice cream with strawberry whip and banana. Coffee.

No comments: