Friday 19 September 2008

Stopping socks falling down and luminance blend mode in CNX

This morning went on a walk with Rad near WHERE. The weather was cloudy over where the sun was, and blue skies with parts of light cloud cover. Because the cloud cover was quite light with a lot of sun getting through, and there were blue skies I decided to use a Hitech ND0.3 split ND filter, but this turned out not to be such a great idea - when processing the images back at home, a lot of my images needed exposure blending because they sky was much brighter than the ground, and those that didn't could still have done with the sky looking darker. So I guess whenever it's cloudy, even if the cloud cover is very light, I should use the ND0.6 split filter.

The weather was nice and warm and sunny on the walk. After a bit I found one of my socks kept falling down. After pulling it up and then it falling down again quite a few times I looked at my shoes, and the shoe on the foot where the sock kept falling down didn't have the laces done up properly. So I did the laces up properly so the shoe was tighter, and then the sock didn't fall down anymore.

After the walk we went to Oadby Asda, which is on the edge of Leicester, and they have quite a bit of Asian stuff there, like big bags of chapati flour. When we came home we had lunch.

After lunch I set about sorting/processing the pics from the walk. Sometimes I want to apply a tone curve to an image to increase contrast, but I don't want to affect the colour saturation, so normally I open the image in Photoshop and set the tone curve blend mode to Luminance. But today I saw that one of the opacity modes in Capture NX for a tone curve layer is luminance/chrominance, which allows you to set the opacity for luminance and chrominance seperately, which is actually better than what Photoshop allows. (Well actually in PS you would need to have 2 tone curve layers - one set to Luminosity and the other set to Color). So you can have a tone curve with say 90% luminance opacity and 50% chrominance opacity, so saturation is increased but not too much.

After dinner I finished off processing the pics from the walk. Po Chess! They are playing 'She's so high' by Kurt Nielsen on HFM!!! Did a backup of my pictures, checked deviantart and most of my email, then went to bed.

Food
Breakfast: Lime marmalade toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
After walk snack: Choc chip cookie; pink wafer; coffee.
Lunch: 2x slices tiger loaf bread; 1 x Mature cheddar cheese on slice of tiger loaf; honey and butter sandwich with tiger loaf bread; banana; choc chip shortbread; 2x jaffa cakes; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Breaded Plaice with cheese and spinach; Potatoes; Peas. Pudding was chocolate cheesecake. Coffee.

No comments: