Monday 22 September 2008

Scanning leaves

I woke up this morning at 5.30am, tried to get back to sleep but decided to get up so I could go to the Canal basin and take a pano with the orange sky caused by sunrise. However, when the sky started to get light, about 15minutes before sunrise, it was cloudy and also not as misty as the past couple of days. I waited until about 10minutes after sunrise and walked to the bit where the track to Lubenham starts, next to a field of bulls and houses on the edge of Willow Crescent. I thought from there I should be able to see the sun if the clouds were thin enough.

When I got there it was about 7am, so the sun should have risen, it was reasonably light, but you couldn't see the sun and the clouds weren't orange at all. Since the clouds were too thick for the sun to get through, I just walked round the field there, which I've never walked around before. Then I walked down the track a bit more towards Lubenham, I was hoping that I could cross over the fields into the field by the pub and then cross the road there and walk back over the hill.

But the river divides the fields in two, so I couldn't get across to the field by the pub so instead I had to walk all around the field until I got to Lubenham, then cross over the small bridge there and walked back home down the road. The field I walked through was full of black plastic wrapped haybales, and it may be possible to get some good sunset photos from there looking towards Lubenham, and good sunrise photos looking back towards Harborough. When I got to the entrance to the field on the hill across the road from the pub, the field had been ploughed, and looked a bit hard to cross in my trainers, so I didn't go over the hill and just carried on walking along the pavement to get home.

Originally I was hoping to walk to Foxton from the Canal Basin, and see if many trees were in Autumn colours, if the weather improves I may do that walk later today. When I got back home I sorted a few macro photos that I've taken over the last few days, and uploaded some moth photos to wildaboutbritain for ID.

It's now 9.25am, the wind's picked up a bit, although still relatively light, some of the cloud has lifted and it's a bit sunny. The hills in the distance are still misty and there's rain forecast for this afternoon, so I don't think I'll go out to Foxton today.

Finshed sorting the macros I'd taken recently, then checked my email, hotukdeals and dpreview news page, which had quite a lot of news on it.

After lunch I went on the pinternet a bit more and backed up my pictures. I started scanning in the leaves I picked up yesterday on Maccy's comp. They were nicely flattened by being squashed in the books I put them in yesterday, so good for scanning. I will have to try and get some photos of unsquashed ones as well though, because some of them have fold marks since they're 3d and not flat.

It did rain quite a bit in the afternoon, and also most of the morning was pretty overcast, so I was glad I decided not to go out today.

After dinner I finished copying the leaf scans I did today from Mac's comp (which has the scanner attached) to my comp, and re-saved them with LZW compression and also saved re-sized versions sized down 50% or 25%, it seems if you increase the DPI on the scanner above 1200DPI you don't get any extra info, and the scans were at 2400DPI or 4800DPI. Then watched some more of LOTR: ROTK with Mac and Ben, then watched an episode of Galactica with Mac.

Food
Breakfast: Blackberry jam toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Mature cheddar cheese with iceberg lettuce sandwich; cherry tomatoes; packet of Beef crisps; satsuma; flapjack; fox's triple; cup o' tea; Roses.
Dinner: Ham quiche; peas; potato; butter. Pudding was home-made apple pie with spleenvap. Coffee.
Supper: Choc chip cookie; hobnob; cup o' tea.

No comments: