Friday 14 November 2008

More cross browser troubles

Got up this morning at about 7.45am, and it was actually sunny outside! Had a shower etc. then checked my email, hotukdeals, deviantart and Luminous landscape. Then I backed all my stuff up and read dpreview forums while the backups were comparing/backing up.

After that I tried to fix a problem with my lightbox script in IE7. If you made the window really small, then scrolled down near the bottom of the page, clicked the an image to lightbox it, then resized the window so it was longer (but still thin enough heightwise that the whole image wouldn't fit in the window), the image would stay in exactly the same position, while the content above it would move to fit the expanded space, thus leaving a giant gap between the page content and the lightboxed image at the bottom of the page.

My lightbox script removes the lightbox image (well sets display: none) when it calculates the pagesize, so that the above problem shouldn't occur. I did quite a bit of testing and found that if I did an alert() after the lightbox image was hidden, I could still see the lightbox image even though it was meant to be hidden. So this is why the pagesize calculation was wrong.

I did some more testing and tried using the DOM to actually remove the lightbox image and then add it again, but still the same problem - setting an alert after the image is removed you can see it is still there and has not been removed. Then I noticed in my code a bit for IE6 and I'd written a note saying what the problem was in IE6 that required this specific code, and it was the same problem as in IE7. So I tried setting that script to happen if the browser was IE6 or IE7, but still no luck.

I had lunch and then came back to the problem. Did some more testing and then noticed that in the pagesize calculation again I had some different code for IE6. So I set that to work for IE7 as well, and it fixed the problem. It seems that document.body.clientWidth and document.body.clientHeight will give you the width/height that the page should be with the hidden image actually hidden in IE6 and IE7.

After this I tried getting the formatting of the form that displays the information a bit nicer. I did some testing and found that setting each set of label-input tags in a span with display set to inline-block worked well, and in all browsers (didn't test IE8 though, I've kinda given up on it for now). I spent the rest of the afternoon changing the formatting of the form and testing it in different browsers.

At the moment I'm reasonably happy with how the information looks, although the Info is displayed in a textarea and in Opera the textarea renders with a greyed out scrollbar, which it seems there is nothing you can do to remove.

After dinner I watched Lost with Maccy and Ben, then listened to my top rated songs in winamp:
1. Paul Gordon - Hey Digimon (2:29)
2. Doc Watson - Lonesome Banjo (1:36)
3. MC Hammer - Too Legit To Quit (5:35)
4. Love Loves to Love (1967) (1:37)
5. Uncle Dave Macon - Go Along Mule (3:04)
6. Alma Cogan - Bell Bottom Blues (2:33)
7. Lulu - Love Loves to Love Love (2:03)
8. Elvis Presley - Spinout (2:34)
9. MC Pea Pod - Digi Rap (3:09)
10. Flatt and Scruggs - Foggy Mountain Breakdown (2:40)
11. The Avalon Boys - At The Ball,That's All.mp3 (2:18)
12. Rev. D.C. Rice & His Sanctified Congregation - In The Battlefield For My Lord (3:20)
13. Jimmy Castor Bunch - King Kong (3:30)
14. The Champs - Tequila (2:10)
15. Elias & His Zigzag Jive Flutes - Tom Hark (2:16)
16. MAKO - DANCER (1:19)
17. Vengaboys - Boom, boom, boom, boom!! (Eurobeat mix) (5:29)
18. Rock Steady Crew - (Hey You) The Rock Steady Crew (3:46)
19. Nothing Shakin' (From 1958) (3:10)
20. Punk&Ska Covers - Walking On Sunshine (1) (3:26)
21. Eddie Cochran - C'Mon Everybody (1:55)
22. Hideki Naganuma - Sweet Soul Brother (2:56)
23. Bruce Willis - Soul Shake (2:53)
24. The Hepcats - Les Paul (Instrumental) (Bonus) (1:59)
25. The Happy Time Nursery Ensemble - Hansel and Gretel (3:36)
26. Woody Guthrie - Lost John (4:08)
27. Henry Thomas - Fishing Blues (2:45)
28. Modjo - Chillin' (3:47)
29. David Guetta Vs The Egg - Walking Away Vs Love Dont Let (3:41)
30. Peggy Lee, Nat "King" Cole and Nancy Wilson - Toys for Tots (2:33)
31. Alf Poier - Weil Der Mensch Zaehlt (2:57)
32. 12 - It's Holiday (Nuage) (2:51)
33. Bomb The Bass - Don't Make Me Wait (3:48)
34. Bomb the Bass - Beat dis (3:24)
35. Bomb The Bass - Megablast (Hip Hop On Precinct 13) (2:09)
36. Bachman Turner Overdrive - Takin´care of business (4:47)
37. Uncle Dave Macon - Way Down The Old Plank Road (3:01)
38. Grandpa Jones - Old Rattler (2:51)
39. Alma Cogan - Dreamboat (1:45)
40. Ayumi Hamasaki - is this LOVE? -Original Mix- (4:55)
41. Bobby Darin - A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square (3:00)
42. Arlene Phillips & Pagoda - A2 Give Me Some Action (Stretch Out) (8:18)
43. Rammstein - Moskau (4:18)
44. MIKE_REID___UGLY_DUCKLING (3:33)
45. Ash - Shining Light (4:08)
46. Frank Sinatra - You'll Never Walk Alone (2:29)
47. Daft Punk - Oh Yeah (2:01)
48. McVaffe - Zelda 3 TheDarknessAndTheLight OC ReMix (5:54)
49. Guy Marks - Loving You Has Made Me Bananas (2:53)
50. Estelle Ft Kanye West - American Boy (TS7 Remix Radio Edit) (3:51)
51. HIDEKI NAGANUMA - SHAPE DA FUTURE (3:48)
52. John Frusciante & Josh Klinghoffer - Walls (6:19)
53. DJArcas - Bubble Bobble DjArcas Bubbl Techno OC ReMix (6:05)
54. Various Artists - Rap All Stars-Last Christmas (4:12)
55. The Kingston Trio - Rider (2:51)
56. Souljahz - Let Go (4:10)
57. KJ-52 feat. Knowdaverbs - Keep It Moving (4:18)
58. Wave8 (3:52)

I had the playlist on shuffle mainly, so I probably didn't listen to all those songs and listened to some more than once (Rev. D.C. Rice & His Sanctified Congregation - In The Battlefield For My Lord is probably my favourite song on there, Rev DC Rice sounds like a croaky old woman). While I was listening to them I did a bit of work on my website. I also went in Maccy's room for a bit and played/watched Ben play some flash games, both of which were quite good.

I received my Lowepro S&F deluxe waistbelt today, it only just tightens enough to fit when I'm wearing a t-shirt, but plenty of room to loosen it if I'm wearing a thick coat. Unfortunately due to not bidding enough on the lens cases auction on ebay I don't actually have any lens pouches to attach to it and test it with.

The sunset today was really nice, but unfortunately both Clare and Brian were out in the afternoon so I couldn't go out to the fields to get any photos as it would have meant leaving granny at home by herself and there would have been no-one in when Ben got back home from school.

Food
Breakfast: Coco pops; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Mature cheddar cheese sandwich; bag of Barbeque flavour crisps; apple; country slice; digestive chocolate biscuit bar; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Breaded fish portion; peas; broccoli; mixed veg; potatoes; malt vinegar; salt. Pudding was chocolate sponge with chocolate custard. Coffee; Roses.

No comments: