Tuesday 25 November 2008

Reading about SEO and NULL

This morning I read more about SEO and checked my email, hotukdeals. I also read on Wikipedia about Sheba and Ophir - 2 ancient countries mentioned in the bible. Then from there I ended up reading an article about how Jewish priests have a common ancestor (probably Aaron) although I can't remember what that article was called, sumat weird I Tom Hink.

One of the SEO articles said about RDFa, and how it can be used to make your search listing look good (at least in Yahoo). I didn't read about it really, so I'll have to come back to that at a later date.

I finished watching Night of the living dead with Mac, was quite good. I gave it 7/10 on IMDB.

Jon and Clare went out for a walk about 11.30am and Clare said I had to put the washing out and vacuum the downstairs hallway, so I did that. Then I checked my email and hotukdeals again.

After lunch I did a bit more work on my website. I found that when I was adding a record to the database, if a record didn't have a date (i.e. it inserted a blank string as the date) then the date would be entered as 0000-00-00 (and subsequently retrieved like that when you pull the date out). So I did some googling and read a lot about NULL.

I wasn't sure about when to use NULL and when not to use it (in practical terms) so I posted to the websqueeze to see what people's opinions were. Then I started making a lemon meringue as Clare was too busy doing the dinner to make it for pudding. I got the base and lemon stuff done and then left it to cool, but then it was dinner time before I could make the meringue.

After dinner I did the washing up as usual while Clare finished off making the lemon meringue and Ben & Mac stuck the jinga bredren haus 2gether. After I finished doing the washing up I helped Ben & Mac with the house, but it was pretty trashed as the gingerbread sides had gone all rounded when they cooked in the oven and I think they might have used a roof slab for one wall and a wall slab for the other wall. If we make another gingerbread house in the future I think it would be best to just cook a trayfull, then cut it into slabs as soon as it comes out of the oven, rather than cutting seperate slabs before cooking it.

Mac made a skill face on the side of the house and I stuck a bunny head on the side of the house with some blood running down from it. Ben put some christmas lights on a rubbish tree and made Santa.

After doing that for a bit we stopped to let the icing dry while we watched Lost. Then I went on my comp and checked deviantart and the canon lens forum on dpreview. On dpreview someone had linked to this skill video:


The weather today was a pretty clear blue sky all day, but in the evening there was a really nice sunset with the whole sky beng lit up orange.

Food
Breakfast: Blackcurrant jam sandwich; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Mature cheddar cheese sandwich; ½ baby beetroot sandwich; ½ banana; slice of chocolate swiss roll; Fox's triple; cup o' tea; Roses.
Dinner: Pasta; chicken tonight style sauce stuff; green beans; sweetcorn; black pepper. Pudding was Lemon meringue crunch. Coffee.

No comments: