Monday 24 November 2008

Watching films with Mac & reading mod_rewite/SEO stuff

Woke up this morning when it was still dark and my alarm went off, but was sleepy so went back to sleep. I got up about 7.10am, it was lighter but still quite dark. After my shower it had lightened up enough to see the sky was covered in cloud.

After breakfast I carried on reading about mod_rewrite and managed to write myself a simple rule that worked. So I uploaded it to the server and it didn't work. I checked phpinfo() on the server and it didn't say that mod_rewrite was loaded. So I sent a support ticket to the Hosting company.

While I was waiting for them to reply (they're always pretty quick though) I checked my email and hotukdeals. Evohosting replied to say that the ownership of the .htaccess file was incorrect and that they had fixed this. They also said that you cannot see mod_rewrite in the php info page since it is a apache module and not a php module.

So I checked phpinfo() again, and as they said couldn't see mod_rewrite. But I uploaded my simple rewrite rule, and it worked. It seems that phpinfo() on the server doesn't include the 'apache2handler' (which says which apache modules are loaded) and 'HTTP Headers Information' information blocks.

I checked the rewrite rule on all my domains and it worked on all of them, although I did find that a rewrite rule in the base public_html folder (which contains the files for brighton360.com and then subfolders for all the other 'addon' domains) would affect all the other domains. I guess there must be a way to restrict the rewrite rules so they don't affect subfolders or don't affect certain folders. It doesn't matter that much though since I don't really intend using the brighton360.com domain, so it shouldn't need any rewrite rules in there anyway.

After that I vacuumed my room, then checked my email and hotukdeals again.

After lunch I tried to do up my Soviet coat, but it caned my thumb too much trying to push the buttons through the holes. Then I watched Jade Warrior with Maccy. After that I checked my email, Andy Rouse's blog, deviantart and the canon lens forum on dpreview. After that I did a bit more reading about mod_rewrite and SEO friendly URLs. A good mod_rewrite guide I read was easymodrewrite.com. I also read an article saying why you should seperate keywords by hyphens rather than underscores. An SEO blog I came across had quite a good article on the Top 10 Fatal URL Design Mistakes and lots of other articles that looked quite good, although I only read a couple more of them.

In the evening I read a bit more SEO stuff, then started watching Night of the Living Dead with Maccy. About half an hour through Ben finished his homework so we watched an episode of Lost. By the time that had finished it was about 9pm so me and Mac watched IACGMOOH.

Food
Breakfast: Blood orange marmalade toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Mature cheddar cheese sandwich; packet of Chilli flavour Doritos; Clementine; Slice of jam swiss roll; mint kitkat; cup o' tea.
Afternoon snack: Malted milk; choc chip cookie; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Shepherd's pie; carrots; cauliflower; Tom Ketch. Pudding was apple pie with custard and cream. Coffee.
Supper: Hot chocolate; malted milk; choc chip cookie.

No comments: