Friday 28 November 2008

Testing query Vs. prepared statement for login script

I got up this morning about 8.10am, then after breakfast went into the garden to see if it was frosty as they had said it would be on the HFM weather last night. It certainly didn't look frosty from my bedroom window. Looking (and feeling) the grass close up I could see there weren't any ice crystals as you'd expect with frost, but the grass was covered with water droplets that were frozen. So I guess either the dew fell and then the temperature dropped below zero, or there wasn't any dew and the frozen water drops were from the rain last night.

After that I came back inside and watched some photography at the summit videos. Then I checked my emails, hotukdeals and thewebsqueeze. I also did some googling to see if I could find Ben's christmas present that I want to get him at a reasonable price anywhere. In the end I couldn't, the cheapest place was play-asia.com, which was £20 including P&P so I ordered from there.

After lunch I did some testing comparing a normal query Vs. a prepared statement for the login script for my site. The normal query was about twice as fast, so after testing that I went through my site and changed the couple of places where I'd used prepared statements to use a query instead.

I added the php.net manual search to Firefox, which meant I had to sign up to FF add-ons to be able to add it. I didn't need to do that in the past to install ad blocker or google translate add-ons. Anyway, I signed up and added the search, as I quite often search the php manual as I can't remember the exact spelling and format of most of the functions I use.

I checked my email and hotukdeals again. I also checked deviantart, moosenewsblog and the canon lens forum on dpreview.

Ben came home from school and I watched an episode of MacGyver with him. After that I decided to try and record a tape to my PC, but on the list of recording devices I only had SPDIF and 'What U hear' listed. I looked around on my PC for a bit to try and find where the settings would be to enable Line-ins 1, 2 & 3, but couldn't see it anywhere, so I went on the creative website and downloaded the latest drivers.

Luckily the latest drivers did work and let me choose from the range of recording inputs. I started recording tracks from the tape, then after I had done a couple it was dinner time.

After dinner I finished recording from the tape while reading the dpreview forums. Interestingly Nikon have (kind of) announced the D3X, 24MP ISO 50-6400. They haven't officially announced it, but in their Nikon Pro magazine that they've sent out to some people, it has an article about the camera in it. Rumors are that it will cost $5,000, so pretty cheap compared to the Canon 1ds MkIII. It will be interesting to see how well it does at higher ISOs (and lower ISOs) compared to the Canon 5D MkII. If I was rich enough I think a Nikon D3 for low light/action shots and a D3X for studio/landscape work would make a good combo.

I finished reording the tape, I only actually recorded about 5 tracks off it as most of the songs I either already had or could just download. I practised doing up my Soviet coat, and weirdly the buttons seemed to do up without too much trouble (though still quite hard). I tidied my bedroom a bit and then watched IACGMOOH in Maccy's room.

The weather started off today as cloudy and overcast. Then fog rolled in, at lunchtime the sun started shining through the fog a bit, but after about 30mins-hour it disappeared again. The rest of the day was foggy and overcast with no sign of the sun. Rad had asked me if I wanted to go out on a walk with him in the morning, but seeing as the sky was a flat grey colour with no sun I couldn't be bothered. When he got back home (about lunchtime) he said it had actually been nice and sunny where he had been walking. Oh well.

Food
Breakfast: Blood orange marmalade sandwich; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Peppered ham sandwich; most of a packet of chilli flavour Doritos; clementine; gingerbread house; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Breaded fish; tartare sauce; peas; potatoes. For pudding I just had a little bit of gingerbread house. Coffee.
Supper: Small Cherry Bakewell; cup o' tea.

No comments: