Thursday 27 November 2008

Testing different ways of inserting NULL

This morning I checked hotukdeals and then watched For a few dollars more with Mac.

After lunch finished watching For a few dollars more with Mac, then copied some chrimbo music to his SD card for him. Then Mac went to Mansfield. After that I wrote a test script to see about inserting NULL values into a mysql database using php. That took most of the afternoon. I posted a few days ago saying that you can't have a field that's NOT NULL and has default values. Not sure what gave me that idea, probably I was doing something wrong so I thought it didn't work and then read something on the internet that I didn't understand that I thought meant you can't have a field that's NOT NULL and has default values.

Doing quick tests with the test scripts I wrote it seems that prepared statements are very slow compared to normal querys (when only performing a query once or twice, which is what I normally do). I'll probably have to do some more testing on this, as there's not much point using prepared statements if a simple query would be quicker.

In the evening I checked my email, hotukdeals, deviantart and dpreview canon lens forum. I also tried to take some photos of a moth I'd caught in an empty (and clean) coffee jar, but the photos came out rubbish, which I think must be due to shooting through the round glass of the jar. I took the lid off the jar and it flew away.

Then I got my pet Spanish caterpillar out of his house. He's pretty big now, I took a few photos of him. Luckily he didn't move round much so it was easy to focus on him, the focusing lights on the MT-24EX were essential for me to focus. I find the focusing lights being on don't actually effect the E-TTL flash exposure at all (well the exposure comes out okay anyway).

The weather was overcast and cloudy all day and it rained quite heavily in the evening.

Food
Breakfast: Blood orange marmalade toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Peppered ham sandwich; banana; pieces of gingerbread house; breakaway; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Chicken, white wine & mushroom pie; carrots; peas; cauliflower; potatoes. Pudding was a slice of home-made treacle (golden syrup) tart with custard. Coffee.

No comments: