Tuesday 3 March 2009

Extracting meta data from images

This morning I worked on the design for my photo site and got something I'm reasonably happy with, it's very plain and boring but doesn't look as bad my other efforts.

After lunch I played on Animal for a bit, then I looked at a free flash gallery, read some stuff (The death of web development and design, and what to do next), installed mySQL Workbench and tried extracting EXIF/IPTC data from an image using PHP.

After dinner I carried on trying to extract EXIF/IPTC data from an image using the built in PHP functions (can't interpret some stuff), a PHP library Evan Hunter has written (better, but doesn't interpret all the maker notes) and also using EXIFTool (gets the most info).

I need to see if I can run EXIFTool from a script (a perl script I guess), so I'll have a look at that tomorrow.

When I got up this morning it looked like it was going to be a nice day, but actually it was overcast all day. It rained a few times throughout the day and rained all evening.

Food
Breakfast: Crunchy nut cornflakes; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Ham with mustard and sweet & crunchy salad sandwich; clementine; mince pie; breakaway; cup o'tea; piece of Sainsbury's caramel chocolate.
Dinner: Bacon quiche; peas; mashed potato. Pudding was spotted dick with custard and tinned peach slices. Coffee.

No comments: