Monday 23 March 2009

Weather not as nice today

This morning I did a bit of work on my photo website making something work without javascript. I found a blog post that features a similar thing to what I wanted to do: Auto-populate multiple select boxes. However, they have a fixed number of select boxes, and the select boxes are hard coded into the page. I wanted my page to work so you click on the entry in the first select box, then it will load up a second select box with the sub categories, then you can again click on a category in that select box, then it will load up another select box with further sub categories and so on until you get to the bottom of the hierarchy and there are no more sub categories.

Also in the morning I vacuumed my room and checked my email.

After lunch I played on Animal Crossing for a bit, and also tried taking some more photos with my small diffusers. I found that I still needed 1/8th power at 3x magnification to get a decent exposure, even though I was only using quite a transparent diffuser. My big home made diffusers only needed between 1/32 and 1/16 power to get a good exposure.

I found this blog post that gives the light loss for different diffusion materials: Light Loss and Mired shift values for Gels and Diffusion. The Hampshire Frost "253" gel I was using is listed at only 1/4 stop light loss, so I was suprised since I was getting far more than a ¼ stop light loss.

I tried taking some photos of a flat gray stone, and found that it wasn't just the diffusion material causing the light loss - the foil wrapped cardboard that was between the diffuser and the flash head was actually causing light loss as well. I thought this was strange since theoretically it should focus the beam of light more. I also found that my big diffusers seemed to get more light on the subject than just the bare flash heads. I think this is because my big diffusers are quite long, the light only escapes from them when it is quite near the subject, and so does result in a more focused beam of light from the flash heads.

I didn't take many photos today as it was very windy and also rained quite a bit. I did some more work on my website, and found that my code wasn't validating as I was using nested paragraph "p" tags. I guess this makes sense, though I didn't know you couldn't use them. Getting my category selectors to work without javascript took quite a long time and a lot of extra code compared to the AJAX version. And this is only one tiny part of a page.

In the evening I watched 'Swordsman' with Mac, which was really good. The story was reasonably easy to follow, but I did get confused a couple of times. People keep flying in the air and can fire bullets out of thin air with their hands.

The weather today was mostly overcast, with a heavy shower and a few spells of sunshine. It was very windy.

Food
Breakfast: Multi grain hoops & honey shreddies; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Mature cheddar cheese with sweet & crunchy salad sandwich; banana; piece of Waitrose mini flapjack; One of Ben's chocolate squidge nidge truffles; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Pasta; tomato sauce stuff; bacon; paremgiannio or whatever it is cheese; ground black pepper. Pudding was ¼ of a strawberry cheesecake. Coffee.
Supper: Chocolate covered posh ginger biscuit that had big bits of ginger in it; crinckle crunch; hot chocolate with dooleys.

No comments: