Tuesday 12 May 2009

Got a 1.5TB harddrive

This morning I checked my email, then did some work on my custom File Info panel. I wanted to display the GPS co-ordinates in the panel.

The GPS co-ordinates are displayed in the File Info Panel in the 'GPS' Format, i.e. Degrees, Minutes. After some reading on the different formats of displaying Latitude and Longitude, I realised that converting from Degrees, Minutes format to Decimal Degrees format was actually quite easy - just divide the minutes by 60, add to the degrees and make the result negative or positive depending on the Cardinal Direction (North, South, East, West).

After converting the Latitude to from GPS format to decimal degrees format I realized that the resulting figure had far fewer decimal points than the actual Latitude value that was stored in the image's EXIF. I feared that this would make the result quite inaccurate, and so googled for quite a while to see if there was a way to get the decimal figure that was stored in the EXIF through Bridge/the XMP File Info SDK.

Unfortunately I didn't find anyway to do this, however I then read on that GPS Lat/Lon conversion page I was reading earlier, the following:
Decimal Degrees is displayed as the degrees in normal value, with both minutes and seconds in decimal format, as a degree value. There is ONLY a degree designation. (DDD.DDDD) A maximum of 4 decimal places is adequate.


So I tried my converted values 51.87865, -1.74558 versus the values stored in the exif 51.8786898230513, -1.74557184257441 in google maps, and sure enough both results were the same. I tried changing the last digit on the short values, and it made only an extremely tiny difference, so it seems I was worrying about nothing, especially when GPS values are only accurate to within ± 10 metres or something.

After getting that working, I tried to upload my test photo to my Ubuntu installation, but Filezilla couldn't connect. I looked at Ubuntu and it wasn't connected to the network. I went on the VMWare Server Configuration webpage, and edited the Network options for the virtual machine, and the selected Network Option was sumat like 'NAT - Not available'. Weird how it's been working with NAT, but now won't. I changed it to 'Bridged', and then restarted my PC in case it was sumat weird with my PC that had broken it.

After restarting my PC, I checked the Virtual Machine Configuration again, and now 'NAT' was not even listed in the Network Options. I'm not quite sure what the difference between NAT and Bridged is, though while the connection was working with NAT selected, the Virtual Machine's IP address never changed. Anyway, I updated the hosts file on my PC and could access Ubuntu okay.

I checked my spleenmail again.

After dinner I watched 'The Legend Of Zelda' and 'The New Super Mario World' and some Youtube videos with Moc and Lil' Lad.

About 7.30pm I went in the garden to see if there was owt to photograph. There wasn't much really. I did see a dung fly, but it flew away. There was a cute little thing that looked like a speck of dust to the naked eye.

After that I looked on t' net to see if my new Seagate 1.5TB drive was SATA3, as it said on the box, and if SATA3 was back compatible with SATA2. On the ebuyer page for the drive, it just said it was SATA2, and there was no mention of SATA3 in any of the user comments/reviews. I got the drive out of the box, on the actual drive there was no mention of SATA3 (or 2), just that it was a SATA drive. It had the same model number as the ebuyer listing.

I found this article about SATA 3, that says that SATA3 should be introduced in the first half of this year, and it also says that SATA 3 is back compatible with SATA2.

I looked on Seagate's website, and couldn't see anything about SATA3 there, but often hardware manufacturers do seem to be quite slow in updating their websites with new products.

Anyway, I plugged it in (hotswap style), Vista installed the drivers for it automatically, then I initialized it and did a quick format (Thanks to the person who wrote the comment on the ebuyer page that a full format isn't necessary). After that I had to decide what data to copy to it (I'm using it as a backup drive, replacing the previous 500GB Samsung Speedpoint drive I was using for backup).

I copied the contents of my E: partition to it, so I won't need to use my 320GB Lacie BigDisk for backup anymore since I can backup all the files that I was previously backing up to 2 drives just to this one. In fact I could probably backup my pictures to it as well and just have it as a single backup drive, though that probably wouldn't leave much space on it.

Food
Breakfast: Bowl of Maple & Pecan crunch oat cereal; Cup o' tea.
Lunch: Mature cheddar cheese with sweet & crunchy salad sandwich; clementine; caramel Rocky; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Lamb burger thingy; peas; potato; mint sauce. Pudding was banoffe pie that McRad had made. Coffee; Sainsbury's caramel chocolate.

No comments: