Wednesday 27 May 2009

Websiting

This morning I checked my email, then I wanted to try and add the details of one of my custom XMP tags to exiftool.

I removed all the metadata from an image using ExifToolGUI in Windows, then opened up FileZilla to FTP it over to the Ubuntu Virtual Machine. Although I only have a few folders in the home folder I was connecting to, there are lots of dot files and folders since it is a real user account. These make it quite hard to find the folder you want in Filezilla as you have to scroll down past a long list of dot files before you find the folder you want.

I did some googling to see if there was a way to hide dot files in Filezilla, after reading a couple of results, I came across a FileZilla feature request for this, which said it could be implemented via Filters in Filezilla 3 beta, and was closed 2 years ago. So I looked through all the different options in Filezilla, but couldn't find this option anywhere.

Then I checked my Filezilla version, and it was only 2.23 or sumat. I thought it was at least version 3. So I downloaded the latest version (3.2.4.1), and it does have the File Filtering option, and it works great.

For most of the day I did some work on my website. I realised that actually I would need a way of allowing images to be in multiple categories. For example where I have 2 different insects in the same image, such as a spider eating a fly, the image would need to be in the category for the species of spider, and also the species of fly. So I did some work on this.

In the evening I watched Springwatch and Springwatch Unsprung. I also won an auction on spleenbay for a CD-I with Hotel Mario!!! It was £36 + £10 P&P. I could have paid £5 P&P, but that didn't include insurance, and I don't trust Royal Mail so I'd rather pay an extra £5.

I also saw that a Pentax Asahi 500mm/4.5 lens was finishing in 22 hours on spleenbay. The starting price (no bids yet) is £200 + £20 P&P, and includes a camera and other stuff as well, here's the description:
Pentax 500mm f4.5 lense in excellent condition incorporating mounting bracket for use alongside monopod or tripod also including Pentax ME super body, motordrive, convertor tubes and hard carry case for the lense.


After googling for the lens and looking at some sample photos I decided against buying it though, as they tended to look quite soft. I'm pretty sure that they normally sell for quite a bit more than £200 even with no accessories, but I'd rather keep my £200 to put towards a sharper telephoto lens.

The weather today was overcast with light rain in the morning. In the afternoon it was a mixture of cloud and sun, and there was a nice sunset with the clouds being lit up a beautiful orange from below. It was very windy all day again.

Food
Breakfast: Strawberry jam toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
Elevenses: Filter Coffee; Milk chocolate digestive; malted milk.
Lunch: 2x cheese on toasts with iceberg lettuce; apple; slice of fruit cake; cup o' tea.
Dinner: 1½ lamb burger style things; chips; peas; mint sauce. Pudding was 2x American style chocolate brownie cookies.
Supper: Coffee; Milk chocolate digestive; malted milk.

No comments: