Tuesday 26 May 2009

Websiting

This morning I posted to the Open forum on dpreview, asking what metadata people are interested in adding to their images, to give me ideas for any other fields I might want to add to my custom XMP File Info panel.

After that I did a little more work on my custom XMP File Info panel, just added in a field that lets you choose whether an image is available for licesning Royalty Free, Rights Managed, or not at all.

I put the washing out on the line, then decided to test out using RDFa in a webpage. I read RDFa for HTML authors, which was quite useful, except that the fact that you should use the doctype <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML+RDFa 1.0//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/DTD/xhtml-rdfa-1.dtd">
, is only mentioned right at the bottom of the article. Really that should be mentioned at the top in my opinion.

I also started reading the W3C RDFa Primer. In testing my page with RDFa, I remembered that IE8 has a meta-tag you can use to make sure it renders pages in IE8 mode rather than compatibility mode. So I googled for this, and found this page that explains it well: IE 8 Compatibility - Meta Tags, Http Headers, User Agent Strings etc etc.

I also did some googling to see if using RDFa in webpages will improve your SEO. It seems the consensus is that using RDFa in webpages is a good idea for SEO and Search Engine listing. While googling I found this website that seems to have quite a bit of Semantic Web and SEO info: Science for SEO.

After lunch I went on Animal Crossing for a bit. I checked my email again, and evohosting had replied to me to say the IP Address of the server they had emailed me and the server I got to through the client area on their website was not correct, and they gave me the correct IP address for the server my sites are hosted on.

Apparently when they moved my site to a server that supports the mysqli extension they didn't update their billing system with the correct server IP address, so when they sent me the email with the new server details, it actually had the old server details on it, and the cpanel login on the client area on their site still pointed to the old server. Of course, they didn't apologise for the mistake, but did at least say that they would update the billing system so it should be correct now.

I did some more work on my website, and started reading about the geo microformat. According the Wikipedia article on the Geo microformat, there are 3 different ways to use the Geo Microformat:

<div class="geo">Belvide: <span class="latitude">52.686</span>; <span class="longitude">-2.193</span></div>

Belvide Reservoir is at <span class="geo">52.686; -2.193</span>.

Belvide Reservoir is at <abbr class="geo" title="52.686;-2.193">Grid reference SJ870099</abbr>.


Also according to the wikipedia article, Flickr uses the geo microformat. I clicked on the word 'Flickr', thinking it would take me to the Flickr website, but it actually took me to the Flickr article on Wikipedia. I thought that might be interesting, so I read that, and part of it was to do with Virgin Mobile using a CC licensed image from Flickr in an advertising campaign without permission.

The girl featured in the image brought a case against Virgin Mobile for use of the image, but the Wikipedia article didn't say what the result of the case was, and googling for it just came up with lots of old articles from when the case was first announced. I did an advanced google search, unfortunately there's no option to prioritise results by date, so I just searched for items from the last year.

Luckily, that did come up with an article that had the results of the case - Chang v. Virgin Mobile USA, LLC, 2009 WL 111570 (N.D.Tex. January 16, 2009). The case was dismissed on 'lack of personal jurisdiction' as the photo was used by Virgin Australia, and only used on ads in Australia, not Texas where the Changs brought the case.

So I guess this means that you can license photos without a model release, so long as you license them to entities that do not operate in and will not use the image in the same jurisdiction where the person featured in the photo comes from.

After getting side-tracked by that, I went on Flickr, and looked at a photo with geo information. However, searching through the page code for 'geo', the only bit that actually contained the latitude and longitude was these two meta tags in the page head:
<meta name="ICBM" content="52.43261, 10.802328">
<meta name="geo.position" content="52.43261; 10.802328">

I also tried checking the source (both normal source and generated source with some images showing) of http://www.flickr.com/map/, but that didn't seem to have any geo microformat info at all.

For the rest of the afternoon and evening I did some work on my website. In the evening I also watched Springwatch.

The weather today was overcast in the morning, then mainly sunny in the afternoon with a brief shower. By sunset all the clouds had blown away. It was very windy all day.

Food
Breakfast: Strawberry jam toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
Lunch: 1½ slices of Tiger Loaf bread; Ham with sliced baby plum tomatoes and iceberg lettuce sandwich; satsuma; slice of fruit cake; Chocolate snowball; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Shepherd's pie; green beans; gravy; tomato ketchup. Pudding was lemon pud with custard. Coffee.
Supper: Oreo; Milk chocolate digestive biscuit; malted milk; coffee.

No comments: