Monday 25 May 2009

More trouble with evohosting and xmp File Info panelling

Yesterday I wanted to upload some images to show in the Weekly macro/close-up thread in the dpreview canon lens forum, so I uploaded them to my webspace with evohosting, but then when I tried to access them, they weren't there. I could see the files with both cpanel and ftp, but when visting the site in the browser, was getting a totally different file list.

So I contacted evohosting about this, and they just replied to say that my domains were resolving correctly, and the files shown in cPanel are the same as the file listing when visting the domain through a browser.

So I took some screenshots showing the differences. Unfortunately, while evohosting's support ticket has a 'Upload File(s)' box, it will only let you attach one file, so I had to take all my screenshots and stick them in one giant long image, and then replied to evohosting to show them that the files shown in cPanel are NOT the same as the file listing when visting the domain through a browser.

Despite going to bed last night about 10pm, I didn't get to sleep until after 1am, hence I didn't get up this morning until sometime after 8am.

Today, I checked my email, and Evohosting had replied to say
We have checked the URL http://iliveinabin.com/Img/ through both the internet browser and the file manager. Both are showing the same files in it

Wow, that's helpful! Luckily they did attach a screenshot to show that the cPanel File Manager and the site when viewed from a browser DID have the same file listing (different cPanel listing to what I was getting). They asked for the exact procedure for how I was getting the error.

So I replied with the exact procedure (which was just logging into the cPanel and then going on the File Manager, and also the ftp details I was using).

Evohosting then replied to say that I was using the wrong ip address to login to cPanel and access ftp, even though I was using the server ip address they had emailed to me. Logging on to cPanel through the client area on their website also took me to cpanel on the server with the same ip address I had been using.

I replied to this effect about 11am this morning, and haven't heard back from evohosting since. I guess I should be glad they've been replying to me so far, since when I first contacted them about this issue yesterday, it was Sunday afternoon, and today is a bank holiday. I don't know if that's standard support hours for a shared hosting provider though.

Very annoying though, how when contacting evohosting for support, they just say 'everything's working okay' until you prove unequivocally (which normally takes a few messages) that everything is not working okay. They did this before with me when the mysqli extension wasn't working.

In the morning I also went on Animal Crossing and vacuumed my room.

Also today, I did some more work on my custom XMP File Info Panel. All I did was to get a bit working where you can add websites that you've uploaded an image to, and the URL of the image on that website. Somehow that managed to take most of the day (and I'd already done quite a bit of work on this aspect). I also split some of the parts of the actionscript for the whole panel off into separate files, so I've now got files like ItemLists.as, Lenses.as, Websites.as etc, which makes the code much easier to manage.

In the afternoon I tried to take some photos of mating yellow ladybirds, but the one on the bottom kept running around continuously, and hiding behind leaves, so I didn't get many photos, and those I did get are pretty rubbish.

Later on in the afternoon, there were loads of little spiders on the green bin (obviously just hatched), so I took a few photos of them, and then there were also some weird bugs on the waterbutt that looked a bit like winged aphids.

In the evening I watched Springwatch, which had Chris Packham as Bill Oddie's replacement (apparently Bill is suffering from depression at the moment). Personally I prefer Chris to Bill as Bill is a bit weird. I also really liked the "Nature's Calendar" TV series that Chris presented a couple of years ago. Funnily on Springwatch, they are having a section about "Nature friendly holidays", and I always thought that "Nature's Calendar" gave some quite good ideas on that point.

The weather today was overcast all morning, then sunny in the afternoon, then became overcast again in the evening.

I was just listening to HFM, and they played "run, run, run" by Phoenix. I'd forgotten how good they were, very hip-hop style music, but not hip-hop style singing or lyrics.

Food
Breakfast: Bowl of Fruit & Fibre; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Farmhouse Mature Cheddar cheese sandwich made with freshly baked tiger loaf bread; honey sandwich made with freshly baked tiger loaf bread; banana; slice of fruit cake; Tesco caramel Rocky; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Ham quiche; baked beans; potatoes; fried mushrooms. Pudding was ½ raspberry ripple mousse and ½ a slice of flan. Coffee.

No comments: