Sunday 31 May 2009

Not doing much

This morning I got up too late to go on Animal, so I couldnae buy a red turnip seed from Sow Joan :(

After Church I went on my comp and checked my spleenmail.

After dinner I checked Moose Peterson's blog. I tried to install ImageMagick on my Ubuntu Virtual Machine using a php script to execute the shell commands. Unfortunately when it came to running configure, the php script would just time out (after about 15 minutes), and I'd get an Internal Server Error 500.

I tried the command in terminal, and it worked fine, took about 30secs - 1min. I changed my php script to use shell_exec instead of the runExternal function, and now got an error message rather than an Internal Server Error 500:
No shell found that supports shell functions. Please tell bug-autoconf@gnu.org about your system, including any error possibly output before this message. This can help us improve future autoconf versions. Configuration will now proceed without shell functions.


Googling for "No shell found that supports shell functions" didn't come up with much helpful. I checked the site error log, and it had
[Sun May 31 19:27:09 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] ./configure.lineno: line 448: expr: command not found
a lot of times, followed by
[Sun May 31 19:27:14 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] ./configure.lineno: fork: Cannot allocate memory
[Sun May 31 19:27:14 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] eval: 1: expr: not found
[Sun May 31 19:27:15 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] ./configure.lineno: fork: Cannot allocate memory
[Sun May 31 19:27:17 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] ./configure.lineno: fork: Cannot allocate memory
[Sun May 31 19:27:18 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] ./configure.lineno: fork: Cannot allocate memory
[Sun May 31 19:27:19 2009] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] sed: couldn't write 78 items to stdout: Broken pipe


Unfortunately I don't know what those logs mean, so I tried increasing the memory in php.ini from 128M to 512M, but still got the same error.

As well as doing that I also got up to date on the dpreview Canon lens forum.

The weather today was warm/hot and sunny all day with a light breeze.

Food
Breakfast: Bowl of Berry oat crunch cereal; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Chilli con carne; rice; tortilla chips with cheese. Pudding was creamy ice cream with toffee sauce. Coffee.
Tea: Peppered ham with sliced raddish, sliced baby plum tomatoes, sliced cucumber and iceberg lettuce sandwich; large satsuma; slice of fruity flapjack; caramel Rocky.

2 comments:

Sam Vimes said...

You wrote about the error message
./configure.lineno: line NNN: expr: command not found (a lot of them), followed by ./configure.lineno: fork: Cannot allocate memory

Did you ever solve this?
I have the exact same error (only the line NNN is different) when I'm trying to cross-compile Python for the WII...

Rusty said...

Sorry, I don't think I ever did solve it.

Doing a quick google for "fork: Cannot allocate memory" brings up 2 potential causes for this particular error:
1. Not enough memory
2. Your user id or the user id the script runs as has reached its maximum number of processes.

I think I have had #2 happen to me before when running a configure or make, but again, can't remember the solution. Probably the solution is just to increase the maximum number of processes your user is allowed to have running.