Thursday 20 May 2010

Trying to find a shiny beetle

This morning I processed a couple of panos, then wrote yesterday's blog post. After that I went out in the garden to try and find a shiny beetle to test out my new diffusers on. Unfortunately all the beetles I found would fly/jump/run away either before I took a shot, or after I'd taken a couple of shots - so no good for comparing the diffusers.

I also found a newly emerged dragonfly that had come from our pond. There was another exuvia nearby as well.

After lunch I went back out in the garden, but still no luck in finding any static beetles. At first I thought the new dragonfly had flown away, but then I heard it flapping its wings, though I couldn't see it. Then later I heard it was still there, and I managed fo find it, being attacked by ants. Using a stick I managed to extract it (I got the stick underneath it, it clung onto the stick, then I slowly lifted the stick up).

But it was quite the worse for wear - one of its wings was bent, and its eyes were very dented. It still had a few ants on it attacking it, so I took a few photos until it lost its grip on the stick and fell off. I managed to pick it up again, then I put it on a rock at the end of the pond. I think it is pretty much dead though.

The rest of the day I mainly spent in the garden trying to find a beetle to test my diffusers on. I did find a dead (at least I'm pretty sure it was dead) ladybird, so I took it inside to take some photos of it in a controlled environment. I went back outside to bring my camera in, but found the ladybird has disappeared. I looked all around the area where I'd put it, but couldn't find it anywhere.

The weather was overcast most of the morning, then the cloud started to clear about 11am and it became a mixture of cloud and sun. The afternoon started off mainly sunny with a few clouds, and quite hot. It clouded over for a while, then the sun came out again. There was a nice sunset with a slightly hazy sky getting lit up first orange, and then slightly purple.

Food
Breakfast: Blackcurrant Jam Toast Sandwich; Cup o' Tea.
Lunch: Grated Mature Cheddar Cheese with Iceberg Lettuce and Pickled Onions Sandwich; Satsuma; Biscuit that me and L made a few days ago; Fruit Club; Cup o' Tea.
Dinner: Pastie; Potato; Carrot; Broccoli; Gravy. Pudding was fresh Pineapple. Coffee.
Supper: Malted Milk; HobNob; Cup o' Tea.

No comments: