Thursday 27 May 2010

Waiting for backup comparison to complete

In the morning I finished off processing/sorting the photos I've taken recently, apart from the ones I haven't been able to get IDs for yet (which is quite a few).

After that I started a binary comparison on one of My Pictures backups, to try and check if there were corrupted files on the main disk that weren't corrupted on the backup disk, and vice versa.

The check took nearly all day (8 hours, 20 minutes). I didn't want to use my PC for anything intensive while the binary comparison was ongoing, so I couldn't get any work done all day. Still, I prefer not getting any work done during the day to running the comparison at night and not being able to get any sleep from the noisy drive.

While the backup was running I checked my email and Thom Hogan's website. I also read a bit of one of my insects books.

In the afternoon I tried using my Wimberley Macro bracket along with an SB-800 and SC-29 sync cord with my 450D and 100mm/2.8 macro, to see how it would work for taking close-ups of larger objects (like bumblebees) that are too big for the MP-E.

Why was I testing this bulky setup when I already have the super-expensive MT-24EX Macro Twin Flash?

The problem of using the MT-24EX on the 100mm Macro is that the minimum working distance is quite large (compared to the MP-E). This means that the light from the MT-24EX's flash heads are more pointing towards the subject being photographed than pointing down at the subject, as they are with the MP-E. (Pointing down light is more natural, like the Sun).

The larger working distance also means that the small flash heads of the MT-24EX are further away from the subject, and so the light isn't as diffused as it is with a small working distance lens like the MP-E (see the apparent light size article on strobist).

In my quick tests I did today, I used a Lambency Flash diffuser (Chinese Knock off of Gary Fong's Lightsphere) with foil wrapped round the dome so light would be forced out the top/front of the dome. However, I found that to get the flash pointing down as much as possible, but still illuming the subjects, I would have to change the flash position whenever I changed the angle I was shooting at or the magnification. And of course the setup is quite bulky, heavy, and difficult to carry. Unfortunately, I didn't find any subjects with reflective areas (like Bees) to test the setup on.

So I did some googling to see if there was a better way of using flash for close-up. Looking at various websites, it seems that what most people do with this sort of setup, is just have the flash on a macro bracket, positioned above the lens, and pointing down slightly. So you would still get the problem of 'front-on' lighting, but the larger light size of a proper speedlite with a diffuser attached may give better diffusion than the MT-24EX with diffusers.

I was thinking originally that the longer working distance of the 100mm/2.8 would mean it was impractical to use a 'light tent' diffuser attached to the front of the MT-24EX. However, I haven't actually tried it, I guess it might work okay - it would depend if the flash overshoots the diffuser or if it goes through the diffuser before it reaches the subject. To be certain it went through the diffuser you would either need a very long diffuser sticking out from the front of your lens, or to find some way of holding the diffuser over the subject.

After looking into close-up flash, I decided to look into geo sitemaps. I read quite a bit of info on that, then had dinner.

After dinner I watched an episode of The Office (US) with Mauser and also a Kurosawa film. It had the famous bloke from Gojira in it, but I don't think he had any lines, and didn't do anything. The film was actually like two films - in the first half not much happened, and it was just about the stress for this rich bloke and his family of having his chauffer's kid kidnapped, and whether he (the rich bloke) would pay the ransom fee, which would make him bankrupt. The second half of the film had much more action and plot development, and was about trying to find the kidnapper.

The weather was a mixure of cloud and sun all day, with a strong wind. It looked like it was going to rain a few times, buit only ever rained a couple of drops. There was a nice sunset.

Food
Breakfast: Lemon Marmalade Toast Sandwich; Cup o' Tea.
Lunch: Grated Mature Cheddar Cheese with Salad and Cherry Tomatoes Sandwich; Packet of Chilli flavour Doritos; Satsuma; Piece of Tiramisu; Cup o' Tea; Piece of Galaxy Chocolate.
Dinner: Battered Fish Portion; Salt; Ground Black Pepper; Peas; Sweetcorn; Potatoes. Pudding was Rice Pudding with Apricot Jam. Coffee.

No comments: