Tuesday 11 May 2010

Various

This morning I finished processing the photos that I'd been working on yesterday, from a walk me and McRad went on last week. When I was done I uploaded them to my photo website (despite them all being pretty rubbish).

After that I had to return my faulty hard drive to Western Digital. I packaged it according to their instructions, then took it down to the post office. But before I left I remembered that the Post Office don't accept credit cards. So I found my debit card, which has been waiting around for quite a while for me to call my bank and get it unblocked. (One time I gave my card to Clare so she could pay some money in for me, but she accidentally used my card to try and get some money out of the wall for herself, and after she'd try putting her pin in a few times the machine said the pin would be blocked and to contact the bank).

So I phoned my bank (Alliance & Pester), but they said the card was okay. I borrowed some cash from Clare just in case the bank was giving me false info about the card being okay. When I tried to pay for the item at the Post Office I found that the card was still blocked, the machine gave me a 'PIN BLOCKED' message. As it turned out, the Post Office actually takes Credit Cards now. (I always prefer to pay by credit card than debit card since you can make a chargeback on a credit card if needs be and I also get 0.5% cashback).

I was thinking of buying a can of drink while I was in the Post Office (Mercury News Shop), since I could do with a drinks can for use in making SteB's diffusers. But the queue for the till (the Post Office counter and shop tills are separate) was really long so I didn't bother.

I phoned the bank when I got back home, but they still reckoned my debit card should be okay to use. I insisted that it wasn't, so they said they'd send me a new card.

In the afternoon I processed some photos I'd taken in the morning after breakfast, and posted them to the WAB forums to try and get some IDs.

After that I worked on some buttons for my pano website for viewing a high res or low res pano.

After dinner I watched an episode of Star Trek with Mauser and L. Then I helped the people with the locked hotmail account. Hotmail staff hadn't replied to their message they made yesterday, and their hotmail account had been locked, so they decided to use a BT email account that they had, but had never used before. They asked me to help them import their contacts into the BT account.

We had a CSV file of the contacts exported from hotmail, but when we tried importing them into the BT Yahoo account, it said it couldn't find any contacts in the file. I did some googling, but couldn't find what format the CSV spreadsheet should be in (as in column titles and number of columns). The Yahoo help was very unhelpful, and for importing contacts from a source such as Outlook etc, gives a link that is about importing contacts from Facebook?!

So I took the CSV and removed all the columns except first name, last name, and email address, then tried again. This time it worked. But it also said that the contacts could not be imported (as well as saying that they were imported successfully). I checked the contacts list in the Yahoo Mail, and it had imported them successfully, but there were two records less than what was in the original CSV file.

So I exported the contacts from Yahoo and put them in the same spreadsheet as the original list exported from hotmail, sorted them both in alphabetical order by email address, and then visually compared the columns to see where the missing emails were. Both of them were just duplicate emails, so that was okay.

They also wanted to know if they could change who it said the emails were from, since at the moment it just had one their names. Once again, Yahoo help proved useless - it said to go to 'Options', and then 'More Options', but there was no 'More Options' under the Options menu. They said it didn't matter that much, so I didn't bother messing about with it any longer.

I came back home, and topped the pond up a bit, then wrote today's and the last few days blog posts.

Food
Breakfast: Bowl of Choco Moons cereal; Cup o' Tea.
Lunch: Sicilian style Ham with Iceberg Lettuce Sandwich; ⅔ Banana; Satsuma; Rocky; Cup o' Tea.
Dinner: Slice of Deep Pan Pepperoni Pizza; Chips; Salt; Peas. Pudding was a Strawberry Mousse; Chocolate coated Shortcake Biscuit; Hobnob; Coffee.

No comments: