Tuesday 17 August 2010

Various stuff

This morning I did some vacuuming while my computer did a backup.

After that I finished off my photo blog post about using filters on the Tokina 10-17mm fisheye lens. I checked my email, then tried to take some photos of a moth I caught in the house last night. It was originally quite co-operative, but I found that the MP-E lens was too high magnification to get full body shots.

So I changed to the 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens, but then the moth became quite active, and after much waiting for it to settle down, it eventually flew off out the window. So despite spending about 40 minutes with it, I didn't actually get any good shots.

I updated my pano website, then the internet broke so I went in the garden and took a few photos. It was quite dark and overcast outside (especially for August), but it was very still (no wind) and peaceful.

Lil' L told me I needed to come in urgently and make some cookies with him, but then when I came in he hadn't got anything ready. After waiting 10 minutes for Clare's laptop to switch on and Internet Explorer to open, L found that the internet wasn't working and so decided that we wouldn't actually make any cookies now. Thanks for wasting 10 minutes of my precious time L!

I switched the modem off for a bit, then on again, which fixed the internet, then posted a new image to deviant art and responded to some favs on there.

After lunch I made the cookies with L, since the internet was now working to get the recipe. Then I went in the garden for a bit. The sun had come out, and it was nice and warm. I came back inside and noticed I had a little bug supping on my T-shirt where L had spilt some cookie dough mix on it. I tried to take some photos of it, but it started to run around so I couldn't find it and keep it in focus.

I went back out in the garden for a bit, then came back in and replied to some emails. I then checked awstats for one of my websites, something I haven't done for about a year, so I couldn't remember how to get it working.

When I did finally get awstats running, I found I had some 404s and 301s, so I fixed the code / pages that were causing them. I also had a lot of other 301s and 404s that I couldn't explain.

I had a lot of 404s that were due to someone requesting a page like /beans when the actual page was /beans-(azoy).xhtml. It seems these requests would all cut off when they reached a non url-encoded character (like a bracket, or Korean character). I could probably fix this if I wanted by url encoding all my URLs, but given that I only had one or two 404 errors like this for each page, I don't think it's worth the trouble.

I am hoping the web addressing system will move to Unicode / UTF-8 in the future anyway.

The weather was a mixture of clouds, heavy rain, and sun today.

No comments: