Wednesday 29 April 2009

DVD drive not working properly

This morning I went out in the garden and found a fly infected with Entomophthora muscae, so I took some photos of it.

After that I tried installing something on my PC, but it wouldn't read the DVD, and also lists my DVD drive as 'DVD RW Drive (H:) Virtual DVD-RAM Drive'. If I put a Music CD in, it would read it okay, but when I put the install DVD in the drive, it would just lock up Vista. After some googling I tried deleting some registry entries about Lower and Upper Filters, but it still wouldn't work. I tried the DVD in Mac's comp, which is also Vista, and it worked okay. So there must be something funny about my DVD drive that it can't read it.

I tidied up my room a bit, and went through my pile of paper I had left to look at when I got a minute, and luckily(?) I had left it too long so I didn't actually have to do anything with them other than put them in the recycling and file a few bits.

In the afternoon I did some website work. I also got an email from Raxco offering 25% off PerfectDisk 10. After doing some googling, it seemed to get nothing but praise, so I decided to purchase a copy of it. They charge an extra £5 or £6 for a years worth of free upgrades, which I thought was a bit cheeky as you normally get updates included for free when you buy software. In total it cost about £25.

Personally I much prefer software with free lifetime updates. It also means that you don't have to worry about only purchasing the software when you actually need it, and so of course the company selling it can get your money earlier (and so earn interest on it) than if you only purchased the software when you really need it. Also they can charge a bit more.

In the evening I watched 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' with Moc, and then did some more website stuff.

The weather today a mixture of cloud and sun, mainly sunny I would say.

Food
Breakfast: Lime marmalade toast sandwich; cup o' tea.
Lunch: Roma ham with iceberg lettuce sandwich; banana; Fox's triple; about ¼ easter egg; cup o' tea.
Dinner: Spaghetti; tomato sauce stuff; stir fry vegetables; meatballs; ground black pepper. Pudding was a Muller fruit corner. Coffee.
Supper: Dark chocolate digestive; nice; cup o' tea.

No comments: